Wrong content shared when posting URL to Twitter

cards

Description of issue: Intermittently, when users share our stories to Twitter, the wrong meta data seems to be picked up from our pages, so the card displays the wrong content and the link takes the user to the wrong story. Whenever a user brings an issue to our attention, we run the URL through the Twitter Card Validator and the issue gets resolved. We publish hundreds of stories a day, so manually validating incorrect URLs isn’t an option.

URL affected (must be public): This story is an example of one that had the issue, but was resolved using the validator: http://www.cbc.ca/books/how-tokyo-digs-a-garden-grew-into-an-award-winning-picture-book-1.4025815

Troubleshooting steps attempted [note that we will not prioritise posts unless there is evidence of following the troubleshooting guides]:

1. We have a single page app, so we are making sure that tags are rendered at the correct time
  2. We have an automated test running to capture issues and have attempted to recreate the problem.

It would be great if there was a log of all shares for a particular story that we could access to see when the wrong meta data was retrieved.

In the attached image, you’ll see that the story shared is a CBC Books Children’s book story. The lead text at the top provided by our share tool provider is correct, but the card rendered below is for a CBC Comedy story.

Does your site implement AMP at all? are you able to provide a link to a Tweet that demonstrates the issue?

Yes, our website has implemented AMP.

I thought that URL was fixed, but I’m actually still able to reproduce the problem on my iphone when clicking on the story from this link: https://twitter.com/cbcbooks/status/908495591969316864 (even after running it through the invalidator).

Screen capture 1 is what I see when I click the link above.
Screen capture 2 is the story I see when I click on the shared story.

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.