Where to find media upload content?

video
ads
media-upload
images

Hey everyone,

I’ve been uploading media via the media upload API. It’s been successful, and I’ve also been able to add said media to Ad Accounts to create creatives. The problem I’m having is despite having this success from the API side, I can’t actually see any of the images I’m uploading. I would expect it to be in studio.twitter.com alongside all the other media (including images that I had uploaded from creating tweets from the Twitter App, not via HTTP requests). What’s even weirder is when I upload a video, it shows up in studio.twitter.com, but for some reason images are not, and the code for either way is 99% the same. The video request get’s the “amplify_video” param and the image request doesn’t have one (I’ve tried “tweet_image” with no avail).

When I do a GET on the Ad Account API to see all the media creatives, I get a full list of all the images I had associated with the Ad Account, as well as URLs to view the images on pbs.twimg.com, so clearly the images are making it Twitter, but just not in a user friendly fashion.

Can someone point to me where I can view these images or if there is anything special going on in order for it to land in studio.twitter.com?

Thanks,
Roger

@rogeyrooo: I don’t have specifics on the way studio.twitter.com works as it’s outside of ads. You’re right that media get added there when sent from the Twitter app. I just uploaded a video using the POST media/upload endpoint. It does not show up on studio.twitter.com.

Whenever media assets are uploaded using the POST media/upload (for images, for example) or the POST media/upload (chunked) (for videos, for example) endpoints, those assets are put in a temporary store. You may have noticed that they have expirations. For example, images typically expire after 24 hours (86,400 seconds)—see expires_after_secs.

{
  "media_id": 710511363345354753,
  "media_id_string": "710511363345354753",
  "media_key": "3_710511363345354753",
  "size": 11065,
  "expires_after_secs": 86400,
  "image": {
    "image_type": "image/jpeg",
    "w": 800,
    "h": 320
  }
}

It’s only when they are used—for example, in Tweets, cards, as account_media, etc.—that they are moved to a permanent store. Alternatively, you can use the POST accounts/:account_id/videos endpoint to associate a video with an ads account. This moves the video to the permanent store. On the ads side, you can see all of these media assets here: https://ads.twitter.com/accounts/{account_id}/media. This will include media assets that have been used or that have been added to the ads account using the POST accounts/:account_id/videos endpoint.

When I do a GET on the Ad Account API to see all the media creatives, I get a full list of all the images I had associated with the Ad Account, as well as URLs to view the images on pbs.twimg.com, so clearly the images are making it Twitter, but just not in a user friendly fashion.

Could you clarify this, please? If you’re referring to the GET accounts/:account_id/media_creatives endpoint, that’ll only show account_media that has been associated with a line item. In other words, images (or preroll assets) that are being promoted.

Thanks.