What to Expect with the API Changes?

Dear Twitter,

It would be great to get some feedback from the Twitter folks as to what, we as developers, would be expecting to happen over the next few days, weeks, months related to the blog post:
https://dev.twitter.com/blog/delivering-consistent-twitter-experience

Over the last year or so, the general notion has been that no one should build a business in someone else’s playground. I understand this fully. However, many successful companies have done just that. For the ones not able to survive these shifts, they’ve just been out of luck and labeled as “fillers.” Although considering that the vast majority of developers who work on Twitter-related projects will exceed the ones that are actually funded, its these developers that have continued to feel the sting of these changes. And ultimately its these developers that stand the most to loose and the ones that have contributed more blood, sweat, tears and belief in the product.

I do understand that companies and priorities change. When revenue isn’t important when starting out, its the developer community that helps it. Once revenue becomes a motivating factor which it eventually will to sustain the momentum, these will always trump the needs of the many. I get it, you’re not Kirk and I’m not Spock.

Unfortunately, its these same developers, the little guys, that have contributed more to the Twitter ecosystem than most of the funded companies. And while as far as I can remember it has always been a matter of openness and transparency, these changes are usually rather swift and it appears very selective in who Twitter informs beforehand.

With that being said, I’d like to have some dialogue with Twitter on how this may impact my business that I have built, grown, nurtured and scaled with no funding and as my source of income. Will some apps be continued to exist and be grandfathered through these changes? I’ve heard cases in which some developers weren’t even notified that they broke some ToS rule and were just cut off. Considering that I’m doing this as a way to feed my family and this is not by any means a hobby, I’d appreciate a little courtesy and open dialogue so that if I truly do need to pivot I can act accordingly. However, if these blog posts popping up on the tech blogs are just feeding in FUD, then it would be helpful to know as well.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1 - I’m not buying in to all the baseless speculation that some articles are feeding, but @140dev has it right: “Great examples of users abhoring a vacuum. If you announce an announcement is coming, people will fill in the blanks with crap.”

At least clarify what won’t be changing.

+1

Upvote

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1