What is the limit on the number of keywords that can be tracked by one "POST statuses/filter" streaming api connection?

Hi,

What’s the limit on the number of phrases that can be tracked via the “POST statuses/filter” streaming api, for one connection?

i.e. track = phrase1, phrase2, …, phraseN, what is maximum possible N?

Is it always the case that if I am within the limit (say N = 50, and I choose to track N=49 phrases), that the streaming api will capture all tweets, provided that I am below the 1% daily maximum?

Also, how many simultaneous connections can I make to the streaming api from 1 OAuth access token?

Can I use multiple OAuth tokens from the same IP address?

Thanks!

@vgoklani

I guess the maximum number of phrases would be 400, assuming each phrase is exactly one word. Twitter imposes a byte-limit of 60 to each phrase and a word-limit of 400 to what you set your track parameter to.

If your potential results are under the 1% restriction, my experience is you will get almost everything. When I look at the results of both stream/filter and search/tweets simultaneously I see a small difference in the tweets that are returned.

I think you can make multiple simultaneous connections with the same oauth credentials or with different oauth credentials, but you are not supposed to. Usually, there is no reason to (though I can think of a couple); you would establish one stream that encompasses all the results you desire, and you would do your own processing of the stream to get your “multiple connections.”

@episod
Taylor, can you please confirm for us that the maximum number of WORDS (not phrases) is 400? I can’t find any official documentation on this limit.

Thanks,
Joe