What does twitter:site and twitter:creator tags do?

cards

What do the twitter:site and twitter:creator tags do ? I assumed one or both would show the Twitter user icon in the card somewhere. When I validate the card I only see an image, title, description and domain. In the documentation for the summary_large_image card, it shows an image that has the Tech Crunch Twitter user icon above it. Where is this Twitter user icon coming from ? Here are my tags:

<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image"/>
<meta name="twitter:site" content="@ClarksNutrition"/>
<meta name="twitter:creator" content="@Aisle7"/>
<meta property="og:title" content="Managing Holiday Stress Is Important When You Have Diabetes"/>
<meta property="og:type" content="article"/>
<meta property="og:image" content="http://web.aisle7.net/images/Main/Features/master.w.m.us.LivingWithDiabetesFindingBalanceStressFreeHolidaySeason_212895841.jpg"/>
<meta property="og:description" content="The stresses surrounding the holidays are as plentiful as the food&amp;#8212;whether it&amp;#8217;s navigating hectic travel, feeling financially stretched, or staying up late making preparations and decorating. And if you have ..."/>
<meta property="og:url" content="http://clarksnutrition.bone.ms/index.php/education-holder/health-providers"/>

Here is the log output from the validator:

INFO:  Page fetched successfully
INFO:  12 metatags were found
INFO:  twitter:card = summary_large_image tag found
INFO:  Card loaded successfully

Is it suppose to show that it found the twitter:site and twitter:creator tags ?

Thanks,

We’ve been modifying the Card formats recently, so there’s a chance that the images shown in the documentation (and the example card displayed in the validator) don’t currently match the output on Twitter’s website and apps. Historically, the site / creator tags have been used for attribution in cards, but it is possible that at the moment, they are not being displayed in some contexts.

Will you be bringing back the user icon link in the summary_large_image card ? And what do you mean by the context it is used in, isn’t there just one context ?

I don’t work directly on the Cards team so I’m not sure what the plans are - the context I was referring to was e.g. web vs mobile, and the fact that the Card display is in flux so some users may see a different experience as different formats are trialled.