What Auth should I be using?

Hi,

I have spent a few weeks developing a plug-in that displays Tweets in a iTunes visualisation. Because the plug-in doesn’t have access to web browsers, I have implemented the xAuth authentication method as I felt it was the appropriate route give the nature of the plug-in and based on the documentation I had read.

I have just had a reply from support saying they don’t think this is the right way without telling me what is, and then closed the ticket so I can’t ask what the appropriate method should be. I was also told not to ask for XAuth until the app was nearly completed, so it’s really disappointing to be shut down at the last moment.

So I’m back to square one. Do I just rip out the code and give up on integrating Twitter, or could someone actually tell me what I should be doing so that I could re-submit after re-writing my code? Right now, my inclination is to remove the Twitter feature, but that means I have wasted a lot of code and time.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Paul

Sorry for the double posting!

If you have the ability to display an URL or (preferably) a hyperlink to the user, and the ability to have them input a code into your plugin, you could give PIN based OAuth a shot:

https://dev.twitter.com/docs/auth/pin-based-authorization

Hmmm, that means a really clumsy interface, which I was trying to avoid.

I’m going to see if it is possible to have a WebView within my settings dialog, or at least be able to launch one. If I can’t do that, I’ll have to remove the Twitter support. Shame, because the inclusion of Tweets does look cool.

Thanks for the advice.