View Conversations- API Support

So Twitter, why don’t you give us (all the non-droid 3rd-party devs) the API end-point for full replys and conversations!? What biz-model of yours does justify your API-policy that make most independent Twitter-clients obsolete (like the othetwise excellent Tweetian for #SailfishOS by @veskuh). Seems that Twitter is learning from FB about how to annoy their user and dev base with these kind of API weakenings.

Would be great to atleast hear some explanations here, or a fix in API 1.2 :wink:

I can’t believe that as devs we don’t have access to this feature. There’s been more than a year from the first post with this request…

Its really simple, get a working API that returns conversation thread, like that in Twitter app on all platforms. Why Twitter pretend not hearing from developers?

Hi there. We’re certainly listening! As with many situations, we need to prioritise features on the public API, and there are many endpoints to support. We’ll always try to share information about upcoming plans as soon as possible here on the dev forums.

Can I scrape Twitter's HTML for Conversation purposes?

Thanks Andy! I understand you guys cannot help about the policy of Twitter, but just look everyone here and many other threads, they’re just asking about open this important features to public.

HI @andypiper . Please let us know that whether twitter is planning to make this feature available in future release. Because its already quite a long time . If not please suggest some alternative for it which is feasible.
Thanks in advance.

We would certainly let you know if we had any clear plan to make this available in the future - at the current time I have no additional news to share.

Just wanted to add my voice to the “This would be a great feature to add!” chorus.

+1 I really could use a feature like this right about now.

It’s absolutely INSANE that Twitter still hasn’t added this essential, nearly universally necessary feature to the public API. The silence from them on this issue is absolutely deafening. Shame on you, Twitter API team.

There are a lot of things that we need to weigh up when making APIs available, and I’m sorry that it disappoints many of you that conversations hasn’t been one of the ones that has been prioritised. Equally, there are a lot of other things that we have launched over the past year, and other things that are in motion. I’ve certainly tried to answer this request a few times, which I don’t think counts as being silent :hand: but I also realise that “this isn’t on the radar at the moment” isn’t the response you’d like to hear.

I’m still not aware of any intent to provide conversations via the public API, but again, if that changes you’d see notifications here and updated documentation on the site.

Hi Andy,

I can imagine how frustrating for you that every time you have to give same boring answer. In light of recent change in Twitter, I hope someday you can bring go news.

I need this too!

If there continues not to be any plan to make this feature available, can you at least suggest a “best practice” way to do it with the existing API functionalities?

Hi Andy

I am trying to extract public customer support conversations with major brands like Jetblue, Southwest, Zappos, etc, on twitter. I am building a twitter bot that will auto reply to common customer support enquiries.

This feature will be really useful for this project. Or if you know of another easy way to access public conversations on Twitter, that will be super helpful too.

There is actually a way to get the whole conversation tree for any tweet, I do it all the time. Only issue is that you dont use the API for that, you have to use something else :slight_smile:

Care to share?

I’ve also previously commented on this feature request here.

This thread has been closed as it started over four years ago, and has taken various different directions since then.

You’re welcome to follow our developer platform roadmap, and to offer feedback on that. There’s no current plan for a conversation API at this time. Our blog post from April discusses the current focus of the API and platform, oriented towards data and customer service features rather than towards specific mapping of every client app feature into an API.

As always, we appreciate your interest and work with our API and platform, and we are listening!