user_timeline - how to recreate retweet url

Disclaimer - Just getting started with twitter

The good - I’m able to use user_timeline to get back tweets from a screen name.

example - api.twitter…/user_timeline.json?screen_name=cnn&include_rts=1

The bad - The reponse doesn’t list the tweet URL, but from the screen name and Id, I can recreate it.

example - twitter.com/cnn/status/512610874323116032

The ugly - For retweets, I don’t see the retweet screen name, so I can’t recreate a url to the tweet.

example - getting tweets for cnn may have a retweet like “CNN iReport @cnnireport

From what I can tell, the user_timeline doesn’t tell me that the tweet was from “cnnireport”, so I don’t know how to create the twitter.com/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/status/512610874323116032 url.

Am I missing something basic? Seems like this would be a common scenario. Can somebody give me a dope slap and get me on track?

All advice is appreciated

Retweets returned by the API have a “retweeted_status” field that contains the full original tweet, including the original tweet id and user.

Have you tried out the API Console Tool? You can paste your command into the form

https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/user_timeline.json?screen_name=cnn&include_rts=1

A word search for retweeted_status will get you all the original retweeted tweets. Within each retweeted_status you will find a screen_name of the author of the retweeted tweet.