User is over daily status update limit

Thank you for your quick response.

We just started getting this error too. We’ve been waiting for a reply for four days on our case. Any estimate on the wait time for a rate limit case is?

Hi @Ponny - what app did you apply with?

@andypiper Thanks for your help! We applied for elevated POST limits through the @trueAnthem app last night. Do you have an estimate for when we can expect to get a response to our application?

We continue to experience an increasing number of these errors that are causing posts to fail for our partners. We have seen 10,526 errors over the past 24 hours. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

We are not commenting on wait times at this time, but it shouldn’t take too long, depending on whether your use case is in-line with our policy or not.

Is it me or are those limits stricter than actually recorded here? New POST endpoint rate limit enforcement begins today

300 tweets per 3 hours (100 tweets per 1 hour)…client is sharing way less but message still comes up

@andypiper I’ve followed the steps in the New POST endpoint rate limit enforcement begins today article. In doing so, I’ve applied for a developer account. When I click on the link in the confirmation email I see an alert message:

Is this to be expected? I want to make sure everything is confirmed and submitted correctly.

Our main production one. The case id is 95775922 if that helps. We floated some suggestions and queried the policies. I wish I knew what the status of it is. I’m not sure if it’s stuck in limbo, decidedly being ignored, or still in a big queue. Unfortunately, there’s just no feedback.

I had my developer account application in limbo for a month because I didn’t realise I had to reply to a specific email. It’d be great if you could allow users to see the progress/state of their support cases.

I am seeing the same behavior. Are these limits applied to each “authorized” user or the application as a whole?

This was the point of the announcement in July. The new limits apply to the application as a whole, unless you apply for elevated access and additional use case review.

Please revisit

The user level limits are available, by request for elevated access, subject to use case review and developer and automation policy compliance.

Thanks for the clarification. This makes sense.

@Aurelia Would you be able to let us know the state of our case and if not, if we should create a new one?

I don’t quite understand, are you saying all apps are being restricted unless they go through review? I’m seeing users get rate limit messages even though they are tweeting from their apps just 3 times an hour

@Ponny There is no need to create a new application for now. I can confirm that your application is still in our queue and will be reviewed. Thanks for your patience.

Correct. The new limit is that the app overall (across all logged-in users) is limited to the documented number of POSTs per hour. If you would like to have that limit removed and return to each logged-in user having their own rate limited quota, you need to ask for elevated access / review. So, if you have say, 50 logged-in users and they are all POSTing via statuses/update, that will be 50 out of your app’s quota of 300 in 3 hours, so each would theoretically only get 6 posts within that period (assuming even distribution of post activity, of course).

No I’m saying even for a little site which tweets from a developer app of their own which they created; once every 6 hours they’re still hitting the limit.

Those apps were created at apps.twitter.com, this is not supposed to happen according to the limits that you posted, so I’m asking if they’d have to go recreate their app on developer.twitter.com and submit for review

@TheLoneDeveloper - Can you please provide the error message that you are receiving?

You will be able to access and manage your Twitter apps via apps.twitter.com for a while longer, however we will be retiring that resource soon. I do suggest that you apply for a developer account, as we are generally moving our app systems into the developer portal. For example, you must have an approved developer account to create apps.

Your Twitter apps are attached to your @handle. If you created them on apps.twitter.com, you will be able to see and manage those apps via the developer portal. Your app authorizations will also transfer from one platform to the next.

The error is “code:185 message: User is over daily status update limit.”

This is not possible because the user sites(they have their own developer apps) don’t even tweet that much an hour, the solution has been for them to go to developer.twitter.com and create a new app and use it instead…so I’m not sure the reason for the error if the user isnt even tweeting from their apps more than twice an hour

The new POST limits came in very recently so these could be related. It could also be that the users are using multiple apps and hitting their own daily update limits via those apps more quickly in aggregate. Thanks for your patience while the new systems roll into place.

For all in this topic, we implemented new app-level rate limits on October 22nd. If one of your users posts Tweets 5 times within 3 hours, that is well within the user-level rate limit that we have. However, if you have 500 users posting Tweets 5 times within 3 hours using one of your Twitter apps, that is over our app-level rate limit.

Please review this announcement for more details on this:

If you are hitting these rate limits, then you should submit the following form, making sure to select I would like to apply for elevated POST limits.
https://help.twitter.com/forms/platform

If you do not see this option on this form, then you are likely not making requests to the POST endpoint at a volume that would require this elevation.

If you are indeed hitting rate limits, but do not see this option in the form, please let me know. I am going to need the following information from you to help you out:

• The app ID that you are hitting rate limits with.
  • The endpoint that you are hitting the rate limit with.
  • The use case related to why you are making so many requests to this endpoint.

Thanks!