Uptick in HTTP 401: errors->code->32 "Could not authenticate you."


#1

My various automations have been around for many moons now, so hopefully this is not a bug on my end. I am currently seeing a small percentage (~1% of calls) of status update REST requests fail with 401 Authorization Required {“errors”:[{“code”:32,“message”:“Could not authenticate you.”}]. These seemed to start around 3 January. I have not seen known issues, so am curious. My application has not noticed the error 32 prior to 3 Jan.


#2

Yes, I believe there’s an issue. I posted something similar here: Friendships/create Error 32


#3

Thanks for the response. I have not seen any errors since 17 UTC 8 January, so hopefully things got fixed yesterday? (Crosses fingers)


#4

Mine seem to have stopped as well.


#5

Same uptick noticed here!
We too get couple of Exceptions for client accounts:
TwitterException: 401:Authentication credentials (https://dev.twitter.com/pages/auth) were missing or incorrect. Ensure that you have set valid consumer key/secret, access token/secret, and the system clock is in sync.
message - Could not authenticate you. code - 32

We’ve tried to generate new access tokens/secrets and also generate new app for this user but error remains.

I hope, this is a temporary effect :fearful:


Friendships/create Error 32
#6

@Kristyn52100022 I’m seeing others report that this has gone away. When did the problem start for you? what percentage of the calls are throwing this error?

It looks like your code is using Twitter4J. Did you check that your system time is correct per the error message?

You should not need to generate new apps for individual users.


#7

The twitter integration the Zendesk uses is experiencing what appears to be the same incident. A small percentage of calls to the https://dev.twitter.com/rest/reference/get/statuses/lookup endpoint are now returning a 401 with status of 32. The first reported incidents appear to fit the timeline that other commenters have outlined. The most recent report occurred at 01/08 10:55 UTC.

We haven’t managed to reproduce the issue but it does seem to be consistently affecting particular customers. It doesn’t appear to be randomly occurring for all calls to that endpoint.

I can keep this thread updated if we see more incidents and provide more details as we find them if it would be helpful.


#8

These same errors have started for me within the past few hours. First being 22:31 UTC 10 Jan 2017. Again, a very small percentage of total requests, <1%


#9

I started seeing them as well. Though not as many.


#10

We are still seeing a high volume of these errors today. We have done some spot checking for these accounts and calls to /1.1/account/verify_credentials.json all work with the same authentication data that is failing on other calls.


#11

The troubles are continuing, but still on a very small percentage <1% of requests.


#12

Same here. Mine actually seems to be more today than yesterday.


#14

@andypiper Thank you Andy for your response!
Yes I’m using Twitter4J and I checked system time on server which is auto time synced and correct.

First log entry with this problem was on 1/6/2017 2:24:20 PM (CET)
After that I wasn’t able to use the API because when the app is doing the login I get the error message again. I’ve tried this once on each of the last days without success. I even set up a new app (consumer key and token) but still the same.


#15

After going a few days without these errors, they are back again now.