Update limit being hit although there are only a few tweets sent

We started receiving a lot of “User is over daily status update limit” errors today for https://twitter.com/Orange_conseil

The docs say: "“The Tweet limit of 1,000 updates per day is further broken down into semi-hourly intervals. If you hit your account update/Tweet limit, please try again in a few hours after the limit period has elapsed.”

I counted tweets shown on the timeline and during the last 24 hours there were a bit more than 200. Looking at half hour intervals I could only see one with close to 20 tweets, but we had the error for a much longer time today.

Is the half-hour limit lower than 20? But then how can the daily be 1000?

Were you getting the error directly from the API or as some kind of interpreted error in a library?

The roaming windows of time should allow for 20 tweets in a half hour – maybe you’re getting a different error code?

Also, good to note that replies and retweets count against both the daily total limit and each roaming window’s allowance.

When is the counter reset? I’m getting the update limit mention in TweetDeck, when can I try again? In half an hour or tomorrow?

Sorry for the late reply, I did not receive any notification of your answer.

We are using the twitter ruby gem, but the exact error we received (Twitter::Error::Forbidden: User is over daily status update limit) is just a thin wrapper over the API answer from what I saw in the source.

I knew about replies and retweets, I tried to include everything in my count.

Luckily, we received the last errors just after I wrote this message and not one since then. I’ll reply again if I have more info.

Hello,

I am seeing the same problem on my account.
I saw it few days ago with HootSuite and TweetDeck but it disapeared within some minutes.

Right now, this is my own app that is receiving code 185 ( [{u’message’: u’User is over daily status update limit’, u’code’: 185}]) without any reason…

Any Advice ?

Thanks

BR

I have the same problem.
I usually post only 7 to 10 tweets within 10 to 15 minutes from API and the I get the error ‘User is over daily status update limit’.
Is this the new limit?
PS: I´m not using a shared host or a shared IP. And I didn´t retweeted.

Thanks

No one?

The limit should be around 20 tweets per 30 minutes - below that there’s probably an issue and if it still persists after so many days, you’d better start a new discussion or write to support.

Thanks, @deviousdodo. That´s what I will do. I´ll write to support.