Unity Fabric Compose Tweets in Android

android
unity

Issue: Uri file path resolved to null

I’m trying to use the Fabric SDK in Unity to compose a tweet. I am able to login no problems but once my app tries to compose a tweet nothing happens, here’s a snippet of the code (I replaced the actual google play id):

public void LogInComplete(TwitterSession session)
{
    string imgPath = Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/banner.png";
    Card card = new AppCardBuilder()
        .ImageUri(imgPath)
        .GooglePlayId("xxxx");

Twitter.Compose(session, card);

}

I placed the banner.png in my unity streamingassets folder, but I run the app on my android phone I get this error in logcat:

com.twitter.sdk.android.core.TwitterException: Uri file path resolved to null

I have been looking everywhere for an example where a person uses Unity and manages to get a correct URI that gets a successful tweet composed…

Hi,
Haven’t tested it but you might want to try:
string imgPath = "file://" + Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/banner.png";

Or you can try upgrading to Twitter Kit 3.0 for Unity (however app cards were removed).

regards,
Adam

I switched to Twitter Kit 3.0 and now my app crashes upon loading, I see the logcat on my android phone and it says:

Unable to instantiate application io.fabric.unity.android.FabricApplication: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn’t find class “io.fabric.unity.android.FabricApplication”

I followed the instructions, I imported the asset and I put in my api and secret key…

After importing the assets you need to update your import statements and remove all references to Fabric (assuming you aren’t using any other Fabric products).

I removed and reimported all my plugins and the crash is gone. I still can’t successfully tweet… I tried many path names, even the one you suggested: string imgPath = “file://” + Application.streamingAssetsPath + “/banner.png”;

I see in the demo provided you use the persistentDataPath directory so I tried that and even that doesn’t work this is how I changed my code (but I can now see the image inside the tweet composer):

public void LogInComplete(TwitterSession session)
{
    Application.CaptureScreenshot("Screenshot.png");
    string imgPath = "file://" + Application.persistentDataPath + "/Screenshot.png";

string[] hashtags = { "#xxx", "#xxx" };
    string msg = "...";
    Twitter.Compose(session, imgPath, msg, hashtags);

}

Interestingly I got a different error when I tried the screenshot version:

E/Twitter: Unexpected response
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method ‘boolean java.util.List.isEmpty()’ on a null object reference

07-19 15:13:58.518 6480-6480/? E/TweetUploadService: Post Tweet failed
com.twitter.sdk.android.core.TwitterApiException: HTTP request failed, Status: 401

Have you tried loading the demo scene alone? Try to compose a tweet with screenshot from the demo. Leaving compose unmodified it should look like:

public void LoginCompleteWithCompose(TwitterSession session) {
		Application.CaptureScreenshot("Screenshot.png");
		UnityEngine.Debug.Log ("Screenshot location=" + Application.persistentDataPath + "/Screenshot.png");
		string imageUri = "file://" + Application.persistentDataPath + "/Screenshot.png";

Twitter.Compose (session, imageUri, "Welcome to", new string[]{"#TwitterKitUnity"});
	}

I get the same error, it’s a 401 unauthorized response, what level permissions do I need? My current application settings on twitter is read/write, isn’t that good enough to compose a tweet?

Here’s the full error stack:

07-19 20:03:13.966 8475-8475/? E/Twitter: Unexpected response
java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method ‘boolean java.util.List.isEmpty()’ on a null object reference
at com.twitter.sdk.android.core.Callback.onResponse(Callback.java:42)
at retrofit2.ExecutorCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1$1.run(ExecutorCallAdapterFactory.java:68)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:751)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6121)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:889)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:779)
07-19 20:03:13.969 8475-8475/? E/TweetUploadService: Post Tweet failed
com.twitter.sdk.android.core.TwitterApiException: HTTP request failed, Status: 401
at com.twitter.sdk.android.core.Callback.onResponse(Callback.java:42)
at retrofit2.ExecutorCallAdapterFactory$ExecutorCallbackCall$1$1.run(ExecutorCallAdapterFactory.java:68)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:751)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6121)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:889)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:779)

Try creating a brand new app (https://apps.twitter.com/) and use the api keys from there to test. Leave all the default settings and set a dummy callback url. Let me know if that works so we can determine if it’s your app or something else.

Still didn’t work with the same error (401). I didn’t generate an access token, that doesn’t matter right?

I would also prefer to use streamingassets instead of using the screenshot, I find the screenshot inconsistent in behavior and in fact apparently it is obsolete according to unity docs: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Application.CaptureScreenshot.html

I managed to copy my banner.png from streaming assets to persistent data path so now I use:

string imgPath = “file://” + Application.persistentDataPath + “/banner.png”;

I can see the banner image inside the tweet composer but again I’m getting a 401 error response

Please test composing from the demo scene with your new test app’s api keys. Don’t try modifying the screenshot yet.

It worked and I tried my original application on apps.twitter.com and it works too… I added the email request permission, callback url, privacy policy url and terms of service url. Thanks for the help

Unity iOS, Android composer callback

Everything works now and you can compose a tweet with your banner.png?

Yes I can compose with banner.png, thanks!