Unable to upload MP4 videos, gives error message: "Your media file could not be processed."

Recently I have been unable to upload videos to Twitter.
Videos encoded the same way were working previously.

Here is the ffprobe output on the video:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'lott.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : mp42
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp42isom
  Duration: 00:00:10.71, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2278 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (Baseline) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 960x540 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 2121 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 152 kb/s (default)

These specs match Twitter’s required specs as far as I can tell.
Can anyone tell me why it’s having an issue with this video?

Thanks for your patience, we are looking into this currently and will let you know if we have an update.

Also having the same issue

this render setting work best for twitter
Twitter Setting

Hi,

We are also having issues with uploading videos from newly developed device. Example video which gives the same error is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-6ma-gVDYDcS0pqWkxEemE1YjA
Strange thing is that it is possible to start uploading it via browser, it can be previewed in browser and some part of it can be selected for cut, but when trying to tweet it, getting “Your media file could not be processed”. The same video file can be tweeted just fine from Android application, but not through media APIs. ALso, the same file uploads fine to youtube, facebook and whatsup. Could you please check what Twitter doesn’t like about it?
Almost identical file (from h264 headers point of view, resolution, settings) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-6ma-gVDYDcdmRURFRRaEhyMDg can be uploaded just fine.
Could you please help with this to understand what is the issue here?

Thanks

Still having this issue. Anyone ever work on this?

Still having this issue.

Can you provide the steps you’re taking in the API, the encoding mechanism used by your file, and a link to an example of a video that is having this problem?

Hi, I find similar problem regularly for some videos in Weibo too. This is one of the example.

ps: It is funny that above google drive link can’t play the video too. But when I edit it, I can see the thumbnail of it. The link is (change ttps to https)
ttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1xYNwWZY7uiYOv9JDD40CM-JDYJU7Kkxj

Please also provide the other information that Andy requested for us to look into this.

This is mine:
ttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1xYNwWZY7uiYOv9JDD40CM-JDYJU7Kkxj

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Volumes/Macintosh Data/Users/andy/Downloads/0034mu3ilx07l1cKf0IE010402004GQI0k010.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 512
    compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
    encoder         : Lavf57.41.100
    description     : 0000000164315b3ca9c87daf934902f2c91dd1b10a8c2006c66dbad7483bd7877157ba1ea45d247fd3bf6ee630d1c374ca83b2b3
  Duration: 00:00:51.41, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 173 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 360x448, 146 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 15360 tbn, 60 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : VideoHandler
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (HE-AAC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 22050 Hz, stereo, fltp, 24 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : SoundHandler

I had this same issue, and found a potential work around for those struggling.

It’s not the most logical solution, but if you upload your media to YouTube as unlisted, you’re then able to download an .mp4 via YT.

The downloaded file was successfully posted in my next attempt.

Cheers

It sounds likely that YouTube is re-encoding your file to something that is compatible with our ingest process, in that case. You could try comparing the encodings of the original, and the downloaded from YouTube version, to spot the difference.

If this case please do save as mp4 using Windows Movie Maker. It works!
I use Video Win Movie Maker on win10 and uploaded movie file
Clear Your media file could not be processed…

Hi we are having the same issue, and the interesting thing is that the video uploads with no problems from the official twitter mobile apps, but does not upload using the web interface.

This is the ffprobe output for the video.

It is a capture from a USP live stream (that our company also provides for the client), transmuxed to mp4 (using ffmpeg) for the end user to download.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. It is very strange that the video should upload fine from official one platform but not from another official platform.

I suggest that you read through the Video specifications and recommendations > Advanced section on this page:
https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/media/upload-media/uploading-media/media-best-practices

Hi. In the screenshot provided it can clearly be seen that the audio profile is AAC (LC) - Low Complexity and that the track is stereo.

Also, the video can be posted using the official Twitter app on Android but not the official Twitter website (or TweetDeck).

I’ve gone through the list on the advanced section too and it seems to meet all the criteria. I’ve also checked that all GOPs are closed, which they are.

Firstly, I hope you’ve all had a wonderful festive season.

Is there an update on this issue? Is there any way I can provide you with the video for your own inspection?

Thanks in advance for your help.

@eos1d3 Comparing between the Twitter UI, it looks like the video needs to be trimmed in order to be uploaded. Can you shorten and retry with the API chunked media upload process?

@JonMallettVualto
It sounds like there are workarounds available to create an acceptable video for upload via the API if you need to iterate on what works/gives an error if you don’t want to post your video here. Additionally, try this test tool to narrow down the issue: https://github.com/twitterdev/large-video-upload-python

Hi, actually I fixed this problem since my last post which was months ago.

My fix solves all videos which have upload problem from Weibo and also Instagram.

The fix is easy. I use ffmpeg to re-encode only audio and copy video stream only. This does not take much time to encode. And all new videos can be uploaded without any problem.

So I can confirm Twitter rejects the videos just because of audio stream.

My own Twitter library will re-encode video if chunkupload is rejected. With this I never see any problem for some months. But the root of cause is from Twitter.

Let me know if you need the ffmepg command.