Unable to GET likes for a user

Hi,

I’m using the API to retrieve a users’ likes. This is working in 99% of cases. However, on some occasions it doesn’t import their likes.

I noticed that for some users when you look at their Twitter profile, it gives you the total for the number of likes, however, it was says: " hasn’t liked any Tweets yet". I checked with the user, and they can’t see their likes either. See example below.

Is this a bug in the Twitter platform?

Regards,

Ross

Untitled

This is possibly a bug, but my suspicion is that this is more likely to be time-related. With the accounts that you’re seeing these issues, when was the last obvious activity (new Tweets, replies, retweets)? If there has been no activity for some time (months, years) then I would speculate that the state may be out of sync because the activity has been moved to archive storage, so the API and website are unable to show “recent” activity.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I think you might be right.

I checked that user’s account and her last thing they did (in terms of activity) was retweet a tweet from October 2016.

Will they ever see those 8301 likes again, i.e., can they do anything to resurrect them?

Ross

I just checked another account.

Their last tweet was: 25th Nov 2018. It’s saying they have a total of 230 Tweets, but it’s just showing one tweet on their timeline.

Also, it’s saying they have 2311 likes, but it’s not showing any of these likes in the Like tab.

It’s definitely not expected behaviour. If it’s saying you have x number of tweets/likes/whatever, it should show these.

Ross

That sounds strange for sure, can you provide a screen_name or id so that I can dig in / report internally? thank you.

Yip, the two accounts I checked were:

@seanamaude
@kelseyblack

Hi Andy,

Was there any update to relation to this? Are the old Likes/Tweets lost forever?

Would it be considered a bug?

Follow Up

Am unable to reply to Hamza’s post (as issue was closed before I had a chance to reply)

Affected accounts were:
@seanamaude
@kelseyblack

There are probably a load more accounts though. These are just the ones I found.

I checked this issue on Twitter Web (Chrome) and Mobile (Android) and the issue is there.

I think it could be an archiving issue (as Andy Piper) mentioned above, and could be happening in instances where a user hasn’t logged in in a long time. That was the case with Kelsey’s account above. She saw no likes when she logged in. When she liked a tweet she was able to see it in her timeline (but wasn’t able to see all of her other likes)

Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,

Ross

Hi @Dotnetster.

Could you please provide more details — such as affected accounts, when you first noticed this, if there are any specific conditions that cause the likes to disappear, if this is still ongoing, if they appear on certain devices like Twitter Web/Mobile Web/iOS/Android/etc, anything else you might think relevant for our teams to know. I intend to pass this along to the appropriate team internally to investigate.

Thanks, Hamza

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.