Twitter Cards are no longer displaying for any page I have tested, except the main page of the site. The website is http://www.quizuple.com, an example of a page that is no longer showing a Twitter Card is http://www.quizuple.com/quiz/prison-break. I did a curl -A “Twitterbot/1.0” on a few URLs and the metatags are displaying properly however, if I put the same URL into the Card Validator it says “No metatags found”. Twitter cards were working fine and no changes have been made to the html head section, so I am not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Here’s what happens when I try to get your page:
curl -v -A Twitterbot http://www.quizuple.com/quiz/prison-break * Trying 184.108.40.206... * Trying 2607:f1c0:1000:909c:6e2:78ee:a958:e000... * Immediate connect fail for 2607:f1c0:1000:909c:6e2:78ee:a958:e000: No route to host * Connected to www.quizuple.com (220.127.116.11) port 80 (#0) > GET /quiz/prison-break HTTP/1.1 > Host: www.quizuple.com > User-Agent: Twitterbot > Accept: */* > < HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found < Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 21:36:31 GMT < Content-Type: text/html < Transfer-Encoding: chunked < Connection: keep-alive < Keep-Alive: timeout=15 < Server: Apache < X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.35 < Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT < Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0 < Pragma: no-cache < Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=844fb739efc6adff1b7bcdd326ef2473; path=/ < <!DOCTYPE html> <html>
So, although it is returning a page, it also responds with HTTP 404, which I suspect causes the Cards crawler to give up. That’s a very unusual response considering you then serve up content, so I’d look at getting that sorted out.
Thank you for your help! I fixed the 404 error and the cards are now working in the validator. I haven’t tried tweeting a link yet, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work now that the 404 is gone and the validator is displaying the card.
I was missing a line in the htaccess file. I actually saw the 404 in the console in Vivaldi, but it wasn’t appearing in Firefox so I figured it was a Vivaldi bug since the browser is still in beta.