Twitter Profile Widget not loading new tweets, please help

Too long, didn’t read: HELP! My Profile Widgets are no longer displaying/animating new tweets.

For our company I have developed an application which is very similar to the old Profile Widget generator (which seems to have been taken down completely as of about three weeks ago as far as I can tell). This was developed so our clients/users can insert their Twitter feed into their web pages without allowing them unrestricted access to execution of JavaScript on these pages (we do e-commerce so there are security concerns). This “templates” JavaScript similar to the following, conditional on validation, and embeds it on the page:

new TWTR.Widget({ version: 2, type: 'profile', rpp: 3, interval: 30000, width: 215, height: 300, theme: { shell: { background: '#ffffff', color: '#707070' }, tweets: { background: '#ffffff', color: '#707070', links: '#818181' } }, features: { scrollbar: false, loop: true, live: true, behavior: 'default' } }).render().setUser('OmniFilm').start();

The widgets now are displaying just fine, but are not displaying any new tweets. Previously there was a very pleasant animation of polling / inserting new tweets into the feed. I’m skeptical that backwards compatibility would just break like this, but anything’s possible. Rewriting the existing system to generate Profile Widgets is almost out of the question at this point (coming up on a major deadline). Please help! Thanks.

My company website has also ceased showing our latest tweets. My website hasnt changed in over a year and all of a sudden the tweets are no longer appearing. We are run through WordPress.

Did something change on Twitter’s end?

If you’re using a Twitter widget where all the Javascript code is stored on your own servers (rather than Twitter’s), you may have an older version of the widget that is pointing at outdated unversioned API endpoints such as twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline. You may need to update your Javascript to a version that uses the correct endpoints.

I am including the script directly from the widgets.twimg.com.

It certainly seems to be so… it would be very odd to just break backwards compatibility so abruptly, so I am hoping it is simply a new bug introduced with the recent API changes.

So upon closer inspection, it seems that calls to

new TWTR.Widget({ /* options object... */ }).render().setUser(user).start();

Are reliant on calls to services which are now deprecated / in the process of being deprecated (I’m looking at “user_timeline.json?screen_name=name …” in particular, which returns data on the very first call that is made from the provided JavaScript, but an empty list in every other case. If I understand this result correctly:

TWTR.Widget.receiveCallback_1([]);

So what the heck am I supposed to do? Is this intentional? I’m slightly shocked that Twitter would make such a quick change, completely breaking code which was generated by your Profile Widget maker in the first place. Will it be impossible for a TWTR.Widget( {} ) call to ever work again?

Thanks.

In case anyone is reviewing this, everything is now working completely fine, I had gotten confused on the “behavior” option and now polling / updating with new tweets is working as expected. Sorry for the confusion, keep up with the good work Twitter team.