Twitter not allowing hashtagged tweets

We have developed an app which does scheduled Tweets, but Twitter is not letting the Tweets post if the tweet contains a hashtag. Is there a solution?

Twitter not allowing hashtags in Tweets - Tweet-Eye.com

You are in luck since you have developed your own app. Now you get to debug it. :smile:

Your first step would be to determine if the problem lies in Twitter’s service or in your code. If it is the former, then the solution would be yours to fix. If it is the latter, you would post enough information so one could replicate the problem.

Good luck!

I get status 403, Code 226

♮∫ #Superman Trading Cards 65 Cards From Various Sets Some Hard to Find! http://ebay.to/2bne7M8

This request looks like it might be automated. To protect our users from spam and other malicious activity, we can’t complete this action right now. Please try again later.

✰≥ #AVENUE PLUS 22/24 BLUE DAMASK V-CROCHET NECK ELASTIC WAIST 3/4 SLEEVE TUNIC TOP http://ebay.to/2auykyP

This request looks like it might be automated. To protect our users from spam and other malicious activity, we can’t complete this action right now. Please try again later.

When the hashtags are removed Twitter lets the Tweet go through. This is not an error with our code.

In that case it sounds like our antispam systems are restricting Tweets in that format from being posted.

Hi Andy

Thank you for replying. I have had no ongoing guidance from Twitter support relating to this issue.

Please could you help us? My contact email is chris.collins@tweet-eye.com

I cannot understand why the Twitter antispam restrictions are singling out our web-based application when the download worked ok. The web-based version of our service has had much investment and also interest from the Irish Government through Enterprise Ireland, eventually we would have liked to partner with Twitter and eBay, it was eBay who told its affiliates that it was ok to post to Twitter and approved original version of our app through the eBay Developer Program. It makes sense that an app which complements eBay and Twitter doesn’t have Tweets blocked as spam, because Benchmark capital invested in both eBay and Twitter. I am also pretty certain that Twitter wouldn’t want to be discouraging Etsy sellers and website owners who also use my app for sharing their pictures from trying to get more hashtagged traffic?

We have taken many measures to make our Tweets non spamy, which I have communicated in support forms and had no response.

Please can you tell us what we need to change.

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Chris - I can understand that you’re frustrated here. However, we’re not able to deal with specific individual app questions on the forums, and you do need to use the support.twitter.com/forms/platform channel to request support on a case-by-case basis - the team behind that helpdesk have access to specifics related to accounts and apps.

Aside from that, as a forum specific to the API and our developer tools, we’re also not able to engage on detailed discussion of particular policy issues - which is what I think this amounts to. We have a variety of automated, machine learning tools that work to reduce problematic content on the platform. Sometimes they do a great job, and other times those algorithms need to be tweaked. However, be assured that all apps are treated in the same way here. We’ve recently been adding tools to enable users themselves to have more control over what shows up in their notifications and mentions, such as a quality filter - so it is increasingly difficult to guarantee that a specific Tweet will show up in a specific context in all cases, but we want to put our users first in terms of their experiences.

We are not related to eBay or their developer policies, so clearly I’m unable to comment on that aspect of your post either.

I’m extremely sorry that you’re frustrated, but my role is to be as transparent as I can be with you as developers, and to support our API and developer platform. The only things I can do beyond that are to refer you to our developer and branding policies and the Twitter rules, and direct you to the correct support channel for your specific case.

Hi Andy

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. I do understand what you are saying.

I am frustrated because I did submit my query (several times) to the link you mentioned in your response. I have just sent my query again on 12/09/2016 at 14:03 BST and received the confirmation that it has been received by the support team.

For your information I did initially send my query on the 14/08/2016 and several times from that date forward.

I have become very familiar with the branding policies and Twitter rules and am adhering to these strictly, however the issue does need one to one support from your support team, or at least really strong guidance as to where the issue lies.

If you are able, please can you follow up my latest query with the support team as this would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

Sure, I’ll ask for someone to take a look - but to be clear, these things are dealt with by a different team than mine. Thanks again for your patience.

If you are interested in learning more about the way our machine learning systems and rules work, we’ve previously shared this on our blog and at our developer conference. This is not to suggest any specific app is posting spam Tweets, but simply to provide you with more information on how the automated systems work.

I’m going to close this thread out, because as I mentioned, we can’t deal with individual app issues here and this needs to happen on the platform support ticket. Thanks.