Twitter Login working fine, but keeps asking API key [Android]

Hello,

I have managed to implement twitter login in my Android application. Everything works fine so I’m just trying to keep it clean.

For now I only need to use the Login with Twitter feature, so I followed the instructions indicated here: https://dev.twitter.com/twitter-kit/android/twittercore

As I said, everything is working fine, but everytime my application starts I ge the following error:

E/Fabric  ( 8859): Error dealing with settings
E/Fabric  ( 8859): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Fabric could not be initialized, API key missing from AndroidManifest.xml. Add the following tag to your Application element 
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     <meta-data android:name="io.fabric.ApiKey" android:value="YOUR_API_KEY"/>
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.common.ApiKey.logErrorOrThrowException(ApiKey.java:93)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.common.ApiKey.getValue(ApiKey.java:44)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.settings.Settings.initialize(Settings.java:68)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.Onboarding.doInBackground(Onboarding.java:80)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.Onboarding.doInBackground(Onboarding.java:26)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.InitializationTask.doInBackground(InitializationTask.java:46)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.InitializationTask.doInBackground(InitializationTask.java:11)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.concurrency.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:294)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:237)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:422)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:237)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1112)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:587)
E/Fabric  ( 8859):     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

I tried adding that in my manifest file, using my consumer key as the value, and I get the following error instead:

03-24 13:34:38.451  10250-10268/... E/Fabric﹕ Unknown error while loading Crashlytics settings. Crashes will be cached until settings can be retrieved.
    org.json.JSONException: No value for app
            at org.json.JSONObject.get(JSONObject.java:389)
            at org.json.JSONObject.getJSONObject(JSONObject.java:609)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.settings.DefaultSettingsJsonTransform.buildFromJson(DefaultSettingsJsonTransform.java:24)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.settings.DefaultSettingsController.loadSettingsData(DefaultSettingsController.java:66)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.settings.DefaultSettingsController.loadSettingsData(DefaultSettingsController.java:47)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.settings.Settings.loadSettingsData(Settings.java:139)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.Onboarding.doInBackground(Onboarding.java:80)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.Onboarding.doInBackground(Onboarding.java:26)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.InitializationTask.doInBackground(InitializationTask.java:46)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.InitializationTask.doInBackground(InitializationTask.java:11)
            at io.fabric.sdk.android.services.concurrency.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:294)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:237)
            at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:422)
            at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:237)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1112)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:587)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

I don’t understand why I get this error if everything is working fine.

Hi NoelDeMartin,

This error is referring to the Fabric apiKey, which is different from the Twitter consumer key and secret. To get your Fabric apiKey:

Refer to your organization settings <https://fabric.io/settings/organizations>_ to obtain your API key and build secret.

Next, copy this value into your AndroidManifest.xml file.

If you’re still having problems, you can email support@fabric.io.

Lien

Hi @lientm thanks for the reply :).

Yes I kind of guessed it had something to do with that. But my question is different, I was wondering why is it throwing that error on the first place, if my login is working correctly. Which operation is it trying to perform that needs the Api key? I would prefer to disable whatever it is trying to do in order to remove any overhead. Or at least I would like to know what is it doing.

Hi @NoelDeMartin,

Twitter kit is built on top of the Fabric platform, so it needs the Fabric Api key to talk to fabric for its settings.

Lien

Agree with NoelDeMartin, that’s really weird to have an extra key just to get TwitterCore to work. Is there any information available on why it’s needed and how it’s used?

My app have same problem.
I use gradle dependencies to import Twitter SDK to my project. It works well but have exception at logcat.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Fabric could not be initialized, API key missing from AndroidManifest.xml. Add the following tag to your Application element
    <meta-data android:name="io.fabric.ApiKey" android:value="YOUR_API_KEY"/>

Just want to know why we have to add Fabric key to use Twitter SDK.