Twitter Card not rendering after working previously

Hi,

Having a really weird problem today. We’ve always used static meta tags on HTML pages to create Twitter Cards - they’ve always worked fine. Suddenly today, none of them are rendering on Twitter Card Validator, not even ones which have previously worked (see example URL below). Everytime I try to validate a card, it says only two meta tags have been found and no card has been found, even though they’re clearly in the source code. Twitter Card Validator is even saying pages with no meta tags have two meta tags! Our robots.txt is definitely allowing Twitterbot, and hasn’t changed since yesterday when our Twitter cards were working.

This has happened a couple of times at weekends before, but it’s cleared itself up. Is there a chance it’s something on the server side or Twitter being blocked out of our web host?

Thanks in advance,

Hello,

Looking at your robots.txt:

User-agent: Twitterbot
Disallow: *
Allow: /pr/tw

The above only allow the Twitterbot to access URLs with ‘/pr/tw’ while the page you’ve mentioned (http://www.theamerican.co.uk/pr/ne-Americans-Win-World-Pasty-Championship.php) only have ‘/pr’ (missing the ‘/tw’)

can you try changing your robots.txt to:

User-agent: Twitterbot
Disallow: *
Allow: /pr

Hi ran5000 - thank you for the suggestion. I did try removing the /tw yesterday but to no avail, and I’ve just amended robots.txt again and it still doesn’t seem to be working. Apparently this has happened intermittently to our Twitter Cards today, but this is the longest it’s lasted.

Any other ideas? I’m tempted to contact our web host to see if our servers are somehow blocking Twitterbot - but would I be barking up the wrong tree with that idea?

Many thanks

Hi all,

Just an update, our Twitter Cards are working again! Our web hosts whitelisted more Twitter IP addresses and it’s solved it, so our Twitter Cards and meta tags are now being read.

Thank you for your help and I hope this helps others with a similar problem in future.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.