Twitter Ads API Java SDK (twitter4j-ads) support for version 3

Hi there,

As you know all partners and developers are “invited” to migrate to v3 of the Ads API as soon as possible, and by 2018-08-01 v2 of the Ads API will be turned off.

Could someone please clarify if a new version of the twitter4j-ads library will be released to support the Twitter ADS API v3 before the 2018-08-01 deadline?

It would be great if a new version of the Java SDK supporting v3 could be released with enough time to make a proper migration.

Many thanks in advance,
Luis

Hey Luis,

Good news is that we have some contributors who are interested to help launch the version 3 support, and I feel like between the # of people we have lined up to help contribute there should be enough open source support to make continuous improvements to it (which was part of the reason we were pushing for this open source strategy).

It may take a few more weeks but please keep an eye on the repo and also feel free to contribute. We can definitely help if there are confusing things during the implementation process and try to speed it up, but in general the Java SDK (and the PHP one) are mostly community supported and I hope to coordinate as much help and assistance for them as we can.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

It’s great to hear you have some contributors supporting the launch of twitter4j-ads for version 3, and do really appreciate your involvement in this release as you have already done in the past with previous versions.

But honestly, in my modest opinion, the greatest news would be Twitter assumed the ownership of the different languages SDKs, the same way Google, Microsoft and Facebook have always done with theirs respective APIs. This way the community of developers could start working with the latest SDKs versions about the same time the new API versions are communicated and launched. This could really make the life of the developer ecosystem a lot easier:

• They could perfectly schedule the required upgrade activities.
  • They could avoid the uncertainty around whether there would be continuity for the SDKs library every time a new version is launched.
  • They could avoid the uncertainty around when the new SDK version will be available and if it will be available before the deadline.
  • They could rely on the quality of the released SDKs, an skip unpleasant last minute problems like the namespace conflict between twitter4j-core and twitter4j-ads, that was recently solved.

It is clear to me that the “community supported” approach hasn’t been your decision, but wanted to take this opportunity to express my opinion about it. This really makes a big difference between Twitter and the rest. Advertising is key part of the game, and providing the best tools to analyze and justify the investments in advertising should also be treated as a key part of the game too.

Many thanks,
Luis

Hi John,

Could you please confirm if a new version of the twitter4j-ads library will be released to support v3 before the 2018-08-01 deadline and if so when it will available?

We are getting closer and this uncertainty is really worrying us.

Many thanks,
Luis

Hey I’ve been trying to nail down some firm details about who will check in v3 support and when it will be. Unfortunately can’t give any details but I would hope to see it available by the end of June if possible at all.

Hi John,

Could you please confirm if a new version of the Java twitter4j-ads library will be released to support v3 during the next 2-3 weeks so all integrators using v2 have enough time to make a proper upgrade in their applications before 2018-08-01?

If not, in my case I would rather prefer clarity and be told to abandon the Java SDK because of the lack of support and be invited to rebuild my integration using any other alternative now that there is still time.

Many thanks,
Luis

@JBabichJapan Any new update regarding twitter4j-ads library v3 API support?

Thanks,
Liad

The latest is that I was able to confirm the maintainers are intending to merge some code which covers the breaking changes (and more?), but unfortunately it’s coming very close to the deadline.

For future version bumps I’m trying to gather contact info of people who would be interested in officially helping maintain it as a ‘community SDK’ because that was the original intention of making it open source. We would also try to monitor activity and send thank-you swag to people who are making significant contributions.

We might be able to make a special whitelist to extend the deadline for consumers of the two community supported SDKs (PHP and Java) - but both of these are in a similar situation right now and can hopefully find more contributors/maintainers over time.

Thanks for understanding the situation

For anyone using the twitter4j-ads SDK - here is a heads up that https://github.com/sprinklr-inc/twitter4j-ads has merged new changes to support v3, please integrate support ASAP because we will shut off access to v2 in less than 2 weeks from now.

The community should help test / confirm and for future releases hopefully this repo can stay ahead of the deadline with more contributions from community members…

Thanks for the update!