Tweeting out links to new blog posts

Hi! I’m looking for some clarification on the new policies.

As a blogger, when I publish a new post, I then share that post on Twitter. Currently, I will tweet out the link with a little description of the post (with different text for each tweet, but using the same link) several times a day. Is this no longer allowed? Or, as the text is different (but the link the same) for each tweet, is that allowed? Sometimes I tweet these live, sometimes I schedule tweets in advance using Tweetdeck.

I’d really like some clarification on this as Twitter is one of my biggest referrals and if I am unable to tweet out my new posts, it means I cannot get the same benefits from Twitter as I have been for 6+ years.

Hi there -

Given your description you should be fine to proceed as long as:

• The Tweet text is substantially different with each post
  • This is done manually
  • This isn’t done more than a few times each day

I’m in a similar situation as @SFUKB and would like some additional clarification based on your response.

When I write a blog post, I too come up with several variations of posts to tweet out.

Then I use a scheduling service to repeat those variations (generally once a month) - is this what is considered spam?

I have tons of evergreen content that I send out periodically so that new audience members or people who are online at different times can catch it, or if it is relevant to an upcoming date/holiday/season.

Hello - Posting duplicate content generally (manual or automated) is prohibited by the Twitter Rules.

Spam: You may not use Twitter’s services for the purpose of spamming anyone. Spam is generally defined on Twitter as bulk or aggressive activity that attempts to manipulate or disrupt Twitter or the experience of users on Twitter to drive traffic or attention to unrelated accounts, products, services, or initiatives. Some of the factors that we take into account when determining what conduct is considered to be spamming include:

if you post duplicative or substantially similar content, replies, or mentions over multiple accounts or multiple duplicate updates on one account, or create duplicate or substantially similar accounts

So the only way to follow the guidelines is to create a completely unique tweet each time I share the same blog post and never ever repeat myself (no matter whether I’m doing it manually or automated) until the end of time.

I really feel that there should a timeframe around what is considered spam. For example, the same tweet posted within X # of hours or days could be considered spam. The same tweet posted a few times a year should NOT be considered spam.

I don’t know what else to do right now other than to stop using Twitter as I’m not able to write an infinity amount of tweets for my existing 120+ blog posts (plus each weekly post I write going forward)…

To clarify the purpose of this forum - we are here to assist with the Twitter Developer Platform and APIs, and we cannot comment on each and every question relating to the Twitter Rules and platform usage policies. We are sorry that you are disappointed with our choice to enforce the existing policies more strictly, but we’re here to assist developers building integrations that have questions about the rules around the developer platform, and recommend that you work with the Twitter Support team via help.twitter.com if you have further questions about what is or is not allowed as part of regular usage of the platform.