The Direct Messages endpoint won't return more than five messages

directmessages
api

No matter what value I specify for the “count” parameter, the Direct Messages endpoint won’t return more than five messages. Here’s my cURL test call…

curl --get 'https://api.twitter.com/1.1/direct_messages.json' --data 'count=10' --header 'Authorization: OAuth oauth_consumer_key="my_consumer_key", oauth_nonce="f2a85c1a9937c918141f2bb7c14df341", oauth_signature="RkGIgY%2FokalTtDYAMxbbmlUdLvI%3D", oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1", oauth_timestamp="1438117223", oauth_token="my_oauth_token", oauth_version="1.0"' --verbose

Thanks in advance for your help!

Does the account authenticating have more than 10 DMs? Have tried a much larger number like 100? If you’ve deleted a number of DMs recently those contribute to the count but are not returned.

The account I’m using for testing has roughly 30 DMs and I’ve tried testing with larger numbers, like 100, 200, etc. Your thoughts?

This seems odd, and I can’t see an immediate reason for it. How old are the DMs?

I’m testing with an account like this:

twurl "/1.1/direct_messages.json?count=40" | jq '.[] | .text, .created_at'

This consistently is returning 40 DMs. However, the account receives DMs regularly, so these are all within the last 5 days.

Isn’t there some time frame that DMs older than that stop getting returned from the API?

It’s possible, but if so that information isn’t currently in the docs for the endpoint, and it is not in my head, either! That’s why I thought I’d ask if @joecrotchett was seeing something that could be attributed to age of the DMs.

It could be attributed to the age of the DMs. The five DMs that I was getting back date back August 2014, so I just added six new DMs to my account and now I’m getting back eleven DMs total. I’m still not getting back any of the DMs before August 2014, but I don’t think that’s a big deal. I’m going to move forward with the assumption there’s a time frame on DMs. Thanks for all your help, fellas!