Tailored Audiences Dashboard and correponding REST API calls count/date in the dashboard

tailored-audiences
restapi
ads

We are using the tailored audinecns RESTful api as below for one of our client with

• Twitter Ads ID: 97kwyv
  • Tailored Audience name: “PLUS”

We have been recording a couple of successful API calls per day for this account/audience, but the dashboard on the client’s side when they login is showing a “last updated” timestamp of “Sep 19, 2016” and “Twitter” audience size of “640”. We and the client don’t understand why the date and the count is not updating even though successful API calls are going through on daily basis. There are also unsuccessful API calls (rate limit) but that doesn’t explain why the successful API calls don’t show on the dashboard.

Is the date and count supposed to update? and why it’s not updating?

---------- api endpoint used to add users to the target audience -------
“auth_type” : “OAUTH1”,
“protocol” : “HTTP/REST”,
“method” : “POST”,
“endpoint” : “https://ads-api.twitter.com/1/accounts/{ACCOUNT_ID}/tailored_audience_changes”,
“api_version” : “1”,
“description” : “add user to audience”

thanks

We are seeing this too. The datetime never updates even with an ADD or REPLACE change to an audience.

interesting, does the count update for you guys? we are doing 2000+ successful calls per day but the count is not updating either!

Hello everyone!

Thank you for your questions. Tailored Audience changes are accepted immediately, however the true size for these audiences takes a few days to estimate. I would recommend keeping an eye on the size, and let us know if you still don’t see any changes in the audience size in the next 2-3 days.

Thanks!

The count seems to update at random for us.

@TealiumJTG: Curious how you are managing that volume, the docs “suggest” not to make more than one update or add every 6-8 hours*, and we’ve given up trying to do more frequently than that as there is now way to know when/why the totals update, no last update date change, or which update is affecting them.

@imit8me: any thoughts on the last updated field never changing? Also, with the appearance of the Real-Time TA docs, I get the feeling that development and bug fixes on standard TON TA is not going to be a priority. For those of us that have suffered through the “still processing” and “too small” issues, could you possibly let us know when Real Time will be GA and if it’s worth us trying continuing to build and engineer around current the current TA process? Thank you.

Processing Times
Generally speaking audience changes are processed in batches that run every 6-8 hours. While an audience change is processing the existing audience to be updated is unaffected. We do not recommend making more than one update for additions and one update for removals per audience within this timeframe.

we are going by the following 2 limits:

upload user id (example: email) to a bucket
API Docs: https://dev.twitter.com/rest/ton
API Rate Limit: 50 calls per 15 minutes

add uploaded file to specific audience.
API Docs: https://dev.twitter.com/ads/reference/post/accounts/%3Aaccount_id/tailored_audience_change
API Rate Limit: 300 calls per 15 minutes

We saw the number increased today, but the numbers don’t match the number of successful API calls we have been making. we are expecting in order of 10000 but the number grow by about 2000 Could some of the successful API calls be actually unsuccessful but the API is not giving enough feedback? or is there other limits not noted in the API docs I have posted in the links above and “msomm” mentioned.

Hey @TealiumJTG

When calling the POST tailored_audience_memberships endpoint, the response object contains a success_count field, which will let you know the total number of records that have been recieved by Twitter and are available for processing. If the success_count is not the number of records sent in the request, that would imply an issue with the records being processed. Once these records are processed, the final change to the Audience size may not be the sum of the existing size plus the newly added members, owing to the fact that members are only added to an audience once a sufficient confidence is reached, after de-duplication. Due to this, final audience sizes may not be equal to the total number of members added to the audience. I hope that helps!

@msomm,

Can you let us know which specific audience in question, along with the Ads account_id, so that we can debug what the issue may be?

Re: the last update field, this field should be updated each time the audience size estimate has been updated, which generally takes a few days AFTER the membership request has been received. We do not have a timeline available to enable the Real Time endpoints for GA, and we will be sure to update everyone with an announcement once we know more. We’re still trying to work through existing issues with the TON API, and if you’re still experiencing issues regarding that endpoint, can you please open a separate thread so that we can investigate there (we like to keep each thread scoped to a specific inquiry/topic)

@imit8me, I don’t think @TealiumJTG is talking about the Real Time endpoints, doesn’t the tailored_audience_membership endpoint only exist on that??? We are both trying to figure out these numbers/updates on the TON API and respective results in the Twitter dashboard (audience manager page).

You also mentioned:
takes a few days AFTER the membership request has been received

similarly, not sure what “membership request” is referring to here, we are hitting the tailored_audience_change endpoint with an ADD - are you talking about that or are you referring to the Real Time tailored_audience_membership (which we do not have access to)??

Thanks!

Apologies for the confusion @msomm ! I accidentally misread the inquiry as being about the wrong endpoint.

To address your query regarding the TON upload endpoint: Membership requests are ADD/REMOVE/DELETE calls to the POST tailored_audience_changes endpoint. Therefore, only this section of the previous response is applicable.

the last update field, this field should be updated each time the audience size estimate has been updated, which generally takes a few days AFTER the membership request has been received. We do not have a timeline available to enable the Real Time endpoints for GA, and we will be sure to update everyone with an announcement once we know more. We’re still trying to work through existing issues with the TON API.

Could you please let us know which specific Audiences and Ads account_id you’re referring to? We can investigate the issue further on our end just to rule out any other issues.

@TealiumJTG

Please disregard the previous response, however, regarding your query about Tailored Audience changes, the following is applicable:

Once these records are processed, the final change to the Audience size may not be the sum of the existing size plus the newly added members, owing to the fact that members are only added to an audience once a sufficient confidence is reached, after de-duplication. Due to this, final audience sizes may not be equal to the total number of members added to the audience. I hope that helps!

To clarify, once we receive a call to the POST tailored_audience_changes endpoint, these changes are processed as per the methodology quoted, above.

Please let me know if there’s any further questions.

Thanks!

Hi, no problem thanks for clarifying.

The account we are testing with is jt1ks

Tailored Audience IDs below should have updated dates and quantities. The latter 3 were updated several days ago but the date/time never changed. The date being shown is still the original creation date.
1ijrq - most recently updated yesterday with 20k new IDs, no changes to date or totals
1i2we - updated several days ago, no date change
1i1a0 - updated several days ago, no date change
1hvmk - updated several days ago, no date change

thanks again

the update timestamp never updates. reading your response it says. see new screenshot attached

the last update field, this field should be updated each time the audience size estimate has been updated, which generally takes a few days AFTER the membership request has been received

@imit8me: hi, just checking back on this - were you able to see about the time and audience size updates? Thanks much
Matt

Hey @msomm

We’ve looked into the a few of the segments you’ve listed, specifically for 1ijrq our internal record shows that the audience was created on Nov 3, while 1hvmk was created on Oct 24. From my understanding you had updated both these audiences simultaneously, correct?

There are a few possible reasons for this discrepancy, either the audience uploads were done at different times, or that they were processed at different times. In order for us to further investigate the issue, it’d be helpful if you could upload an updated list to one of these audiences, and let me know the audience id, the entire request and response bodies using twurl as well as the specific timestamps for the upload as well?

Thanks!