sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target"

Hello all, Am writing a java program that collects tweets with keyword say for example the keyword is chennai. Am using twitter4j-3.0.5, NetBeansIDE-7.4, Windows7 Operating System and a https connection. After providing the proxy settings & OAuth Credentials i downloaded the Security Certificate from the api.twitter.com website in the form of “apitwitter.cer” file & imported into my Java location which is “C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\security\cacerts” using the keytool command, after which i get a message as “Certificate was added to keystore”. But when i run my program am still getting the exception message as

“[Fri Jan 31 16:03:42 IST 2014]sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target”

Am not able to find out what is the problem?