Some render, some don't


#1

Some links render cards perfectly, others I have to specifically go to the validator and valid the url’s manuall.

Perfectly working example:

Example Requiring I manually validate before displaying:

After manually validating each url that doesn’t display - one by one - they appear perfectly.
I don’t believe there are any robot.txt files preventing access - and the fact I can manually validate would seem to agree with that…

help?


#2

Well being as there is no support for twitter cards short of public support, and its very clear twitter cards are broken, I figure I will just keep updating this ticket with what I am learning in case it helps other users.

My problem seems to specifically relate to an issue between my site, bitly, and twitter.

When I validate a card it works perfectly. When I post, I use bit.ly for tracking reasons. So on the posts that won’t display, I grab the twitter redirect url after I have tweeted and try to validate that.

It finds the meta tags, shows the url forwarding to my site, and then shows “Can’t render card”. I copy the url its trying to forward to and verify that, and it verify’s and renders perfectly… I try the twitter url again - and again it can’t render.

So I go back to the tweet in question and copy the bitly link. I toss that into the validator and it redenders perfectly, then I retry the twitter url and… it starts working.

So for clarity - these are the steps I have to perform to get twitter cards to display.

First - make my tweet.
Second - Copy the bitly link that redirects to my site.
Third - Copy the twitter link that redirects to my site.
Fourth - Get the actual url to my site.
Fifth - Validate my actual url in validator.
Validate the bitly link in the validator
Validate the twitter link in the validator.

And then that specific card will appear.

I have to do this to make about 40% of my twitter cards appear - the other 60% work perfectly.

First I test twiter url:

Then I validate actual url:

Then I validate bitly url:

Then twitter cards work: