Retrieval of promoted tweets which have an entity status of paused

Hi, I have a question on the Twitter Ads API v3 around paused promoted tweets which has been raised by one of our clients.

In our connector, we use the data management calls for accounts, campaigns, funding instruments, line items, promoted accounts and promoted tweets (and also the synchronous endpoints for analytics). These are all GET calls. As I understand it, each of the lower level entities (under an account) can be paused, which is indicated in the response by having an “entity_status” of PAUSED.

The client in question has some promoted tweets which are paused but do not appear to be in the returned data set (for the promoted tweets data management call). What is the intended behaviour here: should promoted tweets of all entity statuses be returned by this call? Or is there something special around promoted tweets with an entity status of PAUSED? As far as I can see from the documentation, there is no option to scope the response by entity status, so I’d imagine that all data would be returned.

Note: for the other entities, e.g. line items, funding instruments and campaigns, we can see that some data does get returned with an entity status of PAUSED. I have run a number of different calls for promoted tweets and have not found any with an entity status of PAUSED at all.

We have a specific example of where we think this is happening for which I can give details if necessary - to check this, I have used Postman to run the promoted tweets data management call, using count 1000, and iterated with the next cursor until all data was found. The promoted tweet in question was expected to be found in the results but was not.

If you’re able to help us on this, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

These are great questions, @John_Developer.

As I understand it, each of the lower level entities (under an account) can be paused, which is indicated in the response by having an “entity_status” of PAUSED.

It’s true that some entities under accounts can be paused. However, it’s not possible to pause promoted_tweets entities. This is why you’re not seeing any with a PAUSED entity_status.

I have run a number of different calls for promoted tweets and have not found any with an entity status of PAUSED at all.

While ads.twitter.com shows a paused state for promoted_tweets entities, what’s actually happening is that they are being deleted. (The front end just chooses to display it as paused.) To retrieve those that are paused, use with_deleted=true in your GET accounts/:account_id/promoted_tweets request.

We realize this is not documented (and that the entity_status response attribute is superfluous). We’ll work to add this to the documentation.

Thanks again for the question!

Thanks very much for the quick response - we are planning to enhance our connector anyway to support deleted entities at all levels, so this means we will also get the paused ones for promoted tweets.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.