Regarding the new Twitter policies

Hi there

I see there are new rules to crack down on people who use automotive services to spam the hell out of twitter. My question is, if a person has a couple of accounts on his (twitter app) and use them simultaneously, does this go against the new policies?

Posting the same duplicate content from multiple accounts simultaneously is against the policy, and applications should not provide this functionality to their end users. Toggling between accounts in order to support multiple accounts within an app is permitted.

Hi Andy,

in our app, we can now restrict users to schedule single Tweet to single Twitter account. However, they can still manually copy-paste create multiple Tweets and schedule them for the very same time. If there are some users who do this a lot, can we expect some notice from Twitter or should we also be strict about this?

Hi, and let me just say that I “don’t” want to abuse the system and I am genuinely trying to follow the rules but I am a little concerned with a Twitter App we are developing… and I am also really confused as to what is right and wrong.

We wanted to be able to schedule posts across multiple accounts on different days and times. These posts contain links to “news videos”, “case study” videos and “video interviews”. The Tweets will be 99% the same as they are summaries of the video etc with the correct hashtag. We don’t want to send these out on the same day and we don’t want to set up any automated ReTweet.

Is this against Twitter’s Rules now?

Apologies, if I am missing some obvious point but I obviously don’t want to do anything wrong and now I am just really confused as to what is right!

Thanks

Andy,

We have two accounts we manage that go out to two different audiences. The readership is not identical.

Some of the content we create or share will overlap because it works for both audiences.

Most of the language on these new restrictions key on the word “simultaneously.” While we will sometimes see a need to post the same article to both accounts, is there a point at which they are not considered “simultaneous” postings? Thirty minutes? Thirty hours? What is that time frame?

If we post a tweet on both accounts back to an article on our website, is it a duplicated URL link that triggers the duplication warning (i.e., different text, same link)? Or is it the other pieces of the tweet that, if identical, cause the penalty (i.e., same text, same link OR same text, different link)? Do images factor into this at all, say if both tweets had everything else the same but the images?

Much is not clear in the language of the restrictions. Better examples and further clarity on what constitutes “simultaneous” and duplication would be helpful.

Thank you.

I would interpret this rule to effectively shut down https://www.thunderclap.it which seems a shame as I thought it was a useful service from time to time.

I think these are valid questions and could do with an answer from the Twitter team.

The principle at stake here is whether it is the app developers job to implement the rules around restrictions (in particular where they are weakly defined such as the phrase “substantively similar”) or whether it is best left to Twitter to do that. If left to Twitter to give the warning then what transparency do developers and users have over the judicial process - what rights do the users and the app developers have to understand and then appeal the decision. Is there a route for third party arbitration?

I think the issue that I’m worried about is that legitimate Twitter customers may use sensitively built developer tools in the wrong way and therefore get penalised without understanding why. The fear here is that the developer is penalised (and thus affects all their customers) then for incorrect use by just one customer.

Of course rules are needed to stop the large scale manipulation of Twitter but there is a danger that individual Twitter customers will be fearful of using Twitter apps altogether for fear of losing their account status. I’ve had at least one customer expressing exactly this concern to me.

What’s really needed is a robust and transparent judicial process (with third party moderation as needed) for app developers and their users. Without providing this, I think Twitter risks damaging its own fragile developer ecosystem.