RateLimits properties makes no sense

restapi
rate-limits

As part of my task to include all the json fields of the rate_limits endpoint into a single class, I am encountering many endpoints that do not make sense.

It would be good to know for each of the endpoint which url it is related to. Not doing this will prevent the users from properly handle the rate limits.

Here is the list of the endpoints that I could not map to a url :

• /auth/csrf_token
  • /business_experience/keywords
  • /contacts/uploaded_by
  • /contacts/users
  • /contacts/addressbook
  • /contacts/users_and_uploaded_by
  • /contacts/delete/status
  • /device/token
  • /direct_messages/sent_and_received
  • /feedback/show/:id
  • /feedback/events
  • /friendships/list
  • /moments/permissions
  • /statuses/friends
  • /tweet_prompts/report_interaction
  • /tweet_prompts/show

In the meantime the following endpoints do not have any associated field in the rate limits endpoint :

All of these endpoints are marked as rate limited. Again this is a problem as we cannot ensure a safe rate limit checking.

Useful list - Thanks!

As far as I know:

For the endpoints that are Rate Limited but do not have a specific rate limit like /direct_messages/new.json, /friendships/create.json (/statuses/update should be included in that too?) - this is by design - More info on these here: https://support.twitter.com/articles/15364 monitoring these rate limits is a bit more complicated.

Most endpoints in the first list look like they aren’t public, so probably shouldn’t be used (likely to change, probably restricted etc) - The exception is /collections/* - Collections API info here: https://dev.twitter.com/rest/collections - again, the “read” collections endpoints have a ratelimit of 1000, the “write” endpoints are unspecified, so probably 15, but may be restricted in other ways like other “write” endpoints like /statuses/update

Also: HA! I hit a rate limit clicking through the documentation :upside_down:

Thanks for the link it will be useful. I hope we will get more information regarding the other rate limits though.

I encountered the same error message when navigating the documentation :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t believe that any of these are public endpoints described at dev.twitter.com - where are you getting them from? I get errors when I try to access them using twurl.

Exactly as @IgorBrigadir mentions, these have default limits based on account abilities - 1000 DMs per day, broken down into 15 minute windows, and watched for suspected abuse by Botmaker, so the limits themselves are adaptive and may change.

Hi Andy,

I don’t believe that any of these are public endpoints described at dev.twitter.com - where are you getting them from? I get errors when I try to access them using twurl.

You can reproduce in a minute if you try it on apigee accessing the following /application/rate_limit_status endpoint. Repro link.

Exactly as @IgorBrigadir mentions, these have default limits based on account abilities - 1000 DMs per day, broken down into 15 minute windows, and watched for suspected abuse by Botmaker, so the limits themselves are adaptive and may change.

Yes this is interesting. This article will help me improve the Rate Limit tools.

Interesting! Looks like the rate limits for the non public endpoints are there too. They should be safe to ignore.

Hmm, interesting, I’m seeing that with twurl too. Thanks for pointing this out.