Rate Limits

rate-limits

Hello,

I just wanted to clarify a couple of questions I had about the rate limits for the API.

1. If I use this endpoint: https://dev.twitter.com/rest/reference/get/favorites/list and let’s just say I set the count to 200, since the requests / 15-min window is 15, I could theoretically get 3000(15 * 200) of that given user’s favorite and that user would hit the rate limit and wouldn’t be able to perform any query for 15 minutes?

2. If a user hits the rate limit doing 1 thing (so let’s say I have one part of the app get their favorites, and another part of the app get their followers), if I understand correctly, they’ve hit their rate limit and can no longer do any more calls to the api for 15 minutes at all, no matter which endpoint or whatever, correct (for that type of auth)?

3. User auth and app auth are independent, correct? i.e. if you hit the user auth limit, you still got the app auth limit remaining?

4. Since there are differing rate limits for each endpoint, how does that factor into the overarching rate limit for each auth, assuming the rate limit is overarching?

5. If I wanted to contact Twitter about possibly getting special permission such as access to GET statuses/firehose, etc. how would I go about doing that?

Every endpoint is independently rate-limited. So you could do your thing with favourites, and also independently grab a timeline - the two limits are separate.

User auth and app auth are also independent. You can have many users all logged-in to your account able to call endpoints on their own limits, and then there’s also app auth (which may not allow access to some functions, such as posting Tweets, but can work with others).

If you want access to more streaming data than the 1% provided on the public streams, you should look at our commercial Gnip data offerings. The statuses/firehose endpoint is documented for legacy reasons and is not available for new applications. You can use our platform support forms for special requests, but these are rarely granted.