Rate Limits on applications - 1.1

I have a twitter application, TweetOut, which is used on several servers that does 1.1 searches (https://api.twitter.com/1.1/search/tweets.json). I’m seeing some strange rate limits coming back at me including 0 when I’ve just launched the standalone .exe app that does the searches to populate my databases.

Is the rate limit being shared by all these servers that use my twitter application’s oAuth? If so, does that mean I have to create a new twitter application for each server?

IP addresses have no role in API v1.1’s rate limiting, rate limiting is based on the user-application combination. Creating different apps for each of your servers of the same application would likely be seen as a way of circumventing rate limits. Instead, you should be working within the per-user rate limit for Search that is provided to you.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. What would I need to do to work with user/application combination? When I oAuth, I use my application’s keys. But I’m not sure what I need to do to have my application work with user authorization?