Rate Limiting of application/rate_limit_status endpoint

restapi
rate-limits

Hello,
I am trying to avoid hitting the rate limit in my application, by requesting the rate limit status of the endpoint I am about to use, before querying it. However application/rate_limit_status endpoint is rate limited itself with a rate limit of 180. The endpoint I am using (users/show:id) is rate limited with 900 requests.

Basically I am getting penalised for trying to avoid hitting the rate limit. Shouldnt the application_rate_limit endpoint either be not rate limited at all, or at least have a much higher rate limit than all the other endpoints?

Thanks for your help,
Kind Regards,
Shadi

If you use the HTTP headers of each response you make then you do not have to call application/rate_limit_status on a regular basis. Every request has three header values that can help you with this. For example, if I call users/show/:id.json and check the headers in the response, I see:

-> "x-rate-limit-limit: 900\r\n"
-> "x-rate-limit-remaining: 898\r\n"
-> "x-rate-limit-reset: 1506936549\r\n"

In this case, I can see that the rate limit for the endpoint is 900 calls in a 15 minute window; I currently have 898 calls left in my quota; and the window resets at Unix epoch time 1506936549 (which is Monday, 2 October 2017 09:29:09 GMT).

That’s a more reliable way of checking the current position of your call quotas.