Problem uploading a photo to Twitter API using update_with_media

I am brand new to the Twitter API, and am having quite a bit of trouble making my script work. Basically, I have a wall of dynamically generated photos, and I want people to be able to post them to their twitter feed. For each photo, I am generating a Twitter icon button, which when click, loads a javascript function, “postToTwitter”. That function contains an AJAX call, which calls a PHP script: “postToTwitter.php”.

Right now, with my PHP script, I am just trying to post a static graphic to my wall, before I start moving on to dynamic image URL’s. Here is my code:

Javascript function: “postToTwitter”;

function postToTwitter() {
	var msg = "Hi there!";
	$.ajax({
		url: 'postToTwitter.php',
		type: 'POST',
		data: ({msg:msg}),
		success: function(data) {
			alert(data);
		}
	});
}

postToTwitter.php

<?php
	require 'library/tmhOAuth.php';
    	require 'library/tmhUtilities.php';

$tmhOAuth = new tmhOAuth(array(
      'consumer_key'    => '--consumer-key--',
      'consumer_secret' => '--consumer-secret--',
      'user_token'      => '--user-token--',
      'user_secret'     => '--user-secret--',
    	));

$image = 'images/cancel.png';

if (isset($_POST['msg'])) {
	    $tweetmsg = $_POST['msg'];
	    $response = $tmhOAuth->request('POST', 'https://upload.twitter.com/1/statuses/update_with_media.json', array('media[]'  => "@{$image}",'status'   => "This is a status"), true, true);

if($tmhOAuth) {
			echo $response;
		} else {
			echo "Your message has not been sent to Twitter.";
		}

} else {
	}
?>

When I execute this code, my AJAX script alerts “0”, and the tweet is not posted. Any idea what I am missing, or doing wrong?

Have you tried isolating the interaction with the API to not involve your AJAX-executed code? Have you tried examining the direct error messages you might be getting back when making the API request?

I went in and removed the if((isset($_POST[‘msg’]), which effectively removes the need for the script to run based off of the AJAX call, allowing me to access the file directly, which I did. I also replaced the $_POST[‘msg’] with a static string. New code looks like this:

require 'library/tmhOAuth.php'; require 'library/tmhUtilities.php';
	'consumer_key' => 'fSNOwKkG8KgU8pGNgt6w',
	'consumer_secret' => 'xxxx',
	'user_token' => '235311523-hn0wg0Qa3gv61dd0TuThSc5dsLTYNiUNHdfmjCkB',
	'user_secret' => 'xxxx'
));

//echo "Authorization Message:  $tmhOAuth<br/>";
$image = 'images/cancel.png';

$tweetmsg = "This is a test tweet";
$response = $tmhOAuth->request('POST', 'https://upload.twitter.com/1/statuses/update_with_media.json', array('media[]'  => "@{$image}",'status'   => "This is a status"), true, true);

echo "The response is: $response<br/><br/>";
if($tmhOAuth) {
	echo $response;
} else {
}

When i visit that page, I’m still getting a returned value of 0. I looked at the error code definitions, and there isn’t even a 0 listed. Can’t quite figure out where to go from here.

I saw something that said that these scripts aren’t necessarily meant to be accessed by a webpage, and need to be run by a server. If that is the case, how do I do that?

HTTP code 0 usually means the request isn’t leaving your machine at all – perhaps due to incomplete SSL settings in your PHP or perhaps due to some kind of firewall issue. Do you have a PHP error log file accessible to you? It might have more information within.

To run a script like this from a non-web context, open up a terminal window to get to a command line. Change to the directory where you have the script. And use the command like:

php filename.php

You may want to go a little more complicated in your debugging in the file. Instead of just echoing $response, I would recommend doing an object dump on it instead – perhaps you’ll then see more about the error disposition that way.

I did not find any working example for upload image on twitter via api. If anyone can give me a php script then it will be very helpful for me.

Thanks in advance.

Very Bad docs and support for Twitter APIs

Hi @stevegartner9 were you able to solve the problems uploading a picture with update_with_media?

I’m also in search of some information for this type of functionality. There are a few discussions on stackoverflow.com using cURL to perform but nothing that I have found to be promising. It would be easier if an intent tweet could perform the uploading. I might be looking to have things uploaded to twitpic first before it is shared as that provides the example in-twitter that I desire.

Does anyone have a working version for API 1.1?

We have listed several librairies that work with 1.1 at https://dev.twitter.com/docs/twitter-libraries.

if you want to tweet images using twitter api you can check our blog to see all the steps and download the example:

if you want to tweet images using twitter api you can check our blog to see all the steps and download the example:

Can you please share code of image uploading on Twitter using Javascript and JQuery? Thanks in advance.

if it is giving status 0,

then put cacert.pem file in the same folder where tmhOAuth.php exixts

I don’t know why nobody posted the latest code update here, but I just tested this CODE snippet using ‘tmhOAuth library for PHP’…

include ‘/var/www/apps/Twitter/tmhOAuth.php’;

‘consumer_key’ => ‘x’,
‘consumer_secret’=> ‘x’,
‘token’ => ‘x’,
‘secret’ => ‘X’
));

$image =’/var/www/images/SpinHistoryRoulette.png’;
$status = “Picture posting test bitcoin-roulette.com”;

$tmhOAuth->request(‘POST’, ‘https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/update_with_media.json’, array( ‘media[]’ => “@{$image}”, ‘status’ => $status), true, true );

The last line of code is what I have seen written incorrectly everywhere.

• make sure the $image is a reference to a local filename (NOT URL)
  • check the parameters to request() are like above

I could solve it by using only using base64_encoded string. No need to use any other meta information.

I know it is late but anyone coming next may find this useful.
I successfully shared image using this code:

$temp_file = $_POST['url']; // this is path of local file $temp_type = $_POST['type']; // jpg $temp_name = $_POST['name']; // image.jpg

$tmhOAuth = new tmhOAuth( array(
‘consumer_key’ => $_POST[‘consumer_key’],
‘consumer_secret’ => $_POST[‘consumer_secret’],
‘user_token’ => $_POST[‘user_token’],
‘user_secret’ => $_POST[‘user_secret’],
));

$params = array(
‘media[]’ => “@{$temp_file};type={$temp_type};filename={$temp_name}”,
‘status’ => $_POST[‘status’]
);

$code = $tmhOAuth->request( ‘POST’, ‘https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/update_with_media.json’,
$params,
true, // use auth
true // multipart
);

if ( $code == 200 ) {
echo “success”;
}else{
echo $code;
}

Well!

that worked great, thank you!

Thanks Bilal. Quick question… where are you pulling values for URL and Type? Can you help me a little.