POST /web_event_tags endpoint internal error when using name 'test'

We’ve stumbled across something quite strange and are curious to know what is going on.

We keep encountering an INTERNAL_ERROR response when creating a Web Event Tag using the name ‘test’ (using any other names besides ‘test’ works fine). Also, this issue appears to be isolated to the 4no6av account as we haven’t been able to reproduce this with other accounts.

Using name ‘test’

$ twurl -X POST -H ads-api.twitter.com "/0/accounts/4no6av/web_event_tags?name=test&retargeting_enabled=true&click_window=14&view_through_window=1&type=CUSTOM"|jsonpretty
{
 "errors": [
   {
     "code": "INTERNAL_ERROR",
     "message": "Internal Error"
   }
 ],
 "request": {
   "params": {
   }
 }
}

Same request using name ‘test1’

$ twurl -X POST -H ads-api.twitter.com "/0/accounts/4no6av/web_event_tags?name=test1&retargeting_enabled=true&click_window=14&view_through_window=1&type=CUSTOM"|jsonpretty
{
 "data_type": "web_event_tag",
 "data": {
   "name": "test1",
   "view_through_window": 1,
   "click_window": 14,
   "embed_code": "...",
   "id": "nuex4",
   "retargeting_enabled": true,
   "type": "CUSTOM",
   "deleted": false
 },
     "name": "test1",
     "account_id": "4no6av",
     "type": "CUSTOM"
   }
 }
}

I did notice that there is a deleted web event tag with the name test for the 4no6av account.

Requesting deleted ‘test’ web site tag

$ twurl -H ads-api.twitter.com "/0/accounts/4no6av/web_event_tags/nttmh?with_deleted=true"|jsonpretty
{
     "web_event_tag_id": "nttmh",
     "account_id": "4no6av",
     "with_deleted": true
   }
 },
 "data_type": "web_event_tag",
 "data": {
   "name": "Test",
   "embed_code": "...",
   "id": "nttmh",
   "type": "DOWNLOAD",
   "deleted": true
 }
}

So I thought that perhaps you cannot create a new web even tag using the same name as that of a tag that has been deleted, but that does not really seem to be the case as I have successfully created several other tags reusing names of other previously deleted tags.

Any idea what might be causing this odd behavior?

Thanks for the post.

I am able to both create, list and delete with the name “test” (and other names as well). And upon re-creation of the same with the same parameters, it does effectively act as an undelete.

I also attempted to create one as “DOWNLOAD”, delete then re-create using “CUSTOM”, and did not have any issues.

I’m also curious to know if there are any dependencies on the existing but deleted DOWNLOAD record that are preventing it from being resurrected and converted to CUSTOM.

All this plus the INTERNAL_ERROR makes me think it is a strange corner case. I’ll raise it with the team.

Curious – is this impacting any campaigns currently? If not, and given the team’s time, it might be lower priority and therefore take some time for them to get to.

Thanks for reporting!

Thanks @rchoi!

No, this is not currently impacting any campaigns. It was just something that came up during some recent testing. Given the apparent limited scope of this bug then a lower priority is expected. I just wanted to make sure it is on your radar in case someone else also runs into it.

Also, I’m not sure about any dependencies on the deleted DOWNLOAD ‘Test’ one, but even trying to resurrect it using DOWNLOAD fails with an INTERNAL_ERROR.

Thanks for that additional detail. I’ll note it in our ticket, and when I hear back respond back!