Player Cards Not Displaying As Expected

Hello.

We’ve recently been approved/white-listed for ‘player’ cards and our social team has been testing some things out just to see how we can incorporate them into our strategy.

Unfortunately, some of the ways in which they are displaying on desktop and mobile devices seem to not 100% match what is expected based upon the example provided on the Twitter Player card specs page.

For example, we see the following in the validator for this URL:

Initial validation shows a small squared image:

Upon clicking the video, the video expands to full-on widescreen:

The same activity occurs when you view it on desktop version of Twitter:

That’s not it, when you look at the same tweet in the Twitter Mobile app, it doesn’t show the video/image in the initial tweet timeline at all (until you click through):

Initial tweet view taken on Google Pixel using Twitter App:

View when you click through to the page of the tweet (video shows larger, also on Google Pixel):

Weird that you actually have to click through in order to see that there is a ‘player’ video associated with the tweet? This doesn’t seem like it would be normal given the example Twitter provides.

I’ve gone so far as to even look up the example used on the Twitter player card page and it has the same issue (also a screenshot from Google Pixel).

So my two questions are:

1. On desktop, is there a reason why the video/image is initially showing up as a squared icon rather than a larger widescreen video/image?

2. Is there a reason on mobile devices why no video/image is showing in the initial tweet, and why it’s only showing after you click through to the tweet?

I’ve gone through the trouble-shooting and found the following:

“On Twitter’s iPhone and Android native apps, a Player Card initially appears as the image preview (specified via twitter:image) with a “play” icon over it.” Makes me feel like the image/video should be appearing on the mobile app.

“You should make this image the same dimensions as your player. Images with fewer than 68,600 pixels (a 262x262 square image, or a 350x196 16:9 image) will cause the player card not to render.” Our image for the example page (here) definitely definitely fits the minimum size requirements and looks to be pretty close to the same aspect ratio as the player.

Hoping there is something we can do to address my two questions above.

Thanks!

Screenshot on Google Pixel using Twitter App with the tweet from Twitter’s player card example.

Seems to be a real difference between the app and mobile devices in terms of what displays with a player card.

On mobile, player cards require a click to the Tweet detail view.

Thanks Andy! If that is the case, why would there be a difference between what shows on Mobile.Twitter.com versus the Twitter app? I’m seeing that when I go to mobile.twitter.com the player card video shows without clicking through but in the app it doesn’t show until click-through (even with the example you guys provided). Why would there be a difference between the two?

Also, is there a reason that my player video (when it’s visible) initially shows up as a smaller-square box rather than a larger widescreen video before the point of hitting play?

It’s simply an implementation difference between the web and the native mobile apps.

Fair enough. Also, is there a reason that my player video (when it’s visible) initially shows up as a smaller-square box rather than a larger widescreen video before the point of hitting play?

How can I get my videos to appear as widescreen rather than squared in the initial tweet timeline (before click)?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.