Placing LONG video (>30 seconds) into tweets

Hi Colleagues!

I use Twitter REST API to make tweets with text and video programmatically.
I do it from Node.js using ‘twitter’ module, but it’s not principal. The final web requests to make it done are much more interesting for me.

Previously I made it such a way:

1. uploaded the video to Twitter asynchronously using
    /media/upload method with {file_path: 'path_to_uploaded_file'} parameter and got media_id;
  2. created a tweet using /statuses/update method with parameters:
    {status: 'Tweet text', media_ids: ['received_media_id']}

It worked perfectly but now we need to make tweets with longer video (with maximum length not 30 but 140 seconds). So now I try to do following steps:

1. upload video the same way as before but with parameters
    {file_path: 'path_to_uploaded_file', media_category: 'tweet_video'} (the last one is necessary to upload longer video as discussed here);

2. use the received media_id as a parameter for /statuses/update the same way as above.
    The first step works well. But the second gives me the following message:

sharing to twitter failed : { [Error: Not valid video]
    cause:
    { [Error: Not valid video]
    code: 324,
    allErrors: [ { code: 324, message: ‘Not valid video’ } ],
    twitterReply: { errors: [ { code: 324, message: ‘Not valid video’ } ] },
    statusCode: 400 },
    isOperational: true,
    code: 324,
    allErrors: [ { code: 324, message: ‘Not valid video’ } ],
    twitterReply: { errors: [ { code: 324, message: ‘Not valid video’ } ] },
    statusCode: 400 }

It’s interesting that even short videos (<30 sec) uploaded with media_category parameter can’t be posted standard way via /statuses/update and return the same error message.

What am I doing wrong? And is there a way to make tweet with long video programmatically?

Just curious to know if you’re able to test the same video using our large video upload sample and see if you get the same results?

Thank you for the quick answer and beautiful example (although I needed to study Python for a while :slight_smile:. Such a pity that I hadn’s seen this link before.

Now I see my mistake clearly: it was forgotten to check the state of uploaded video: after FINALIZE phase ends, it still needs to be processed, so we need to call in cycle something like this (JS code):

let res = yield req.twitter.postMediaChunkedAsync(params); // it does all phases one-by-one
let processingInfo = res.processing_info;
while (processingInfo.state==='pending') {
    yield Promise.delay(processingInfo.check_after_secs * 1000);
    let res = yield req.twitter.get('/media/upload', {
        command: 'STATUS',
        media_id: mediaId
    });
    processingInfo = res.data.processing_info;
}

You’ve saved my day!

Excellent, glad to hear this resolved things for you.