Organic Video Stats differ from ads.twitter.com, video analytics dashboard

video
analytics

I’m pulling organic video data by posting job on endpoint https://ads-api.twitter.com/1/stats/jobs/accounts/:account_id. However I noticed that while for promoted tweets, the numbers returned from API match what is shown on ads.twitter.com video analytics dashboard (may differ by one or two but it’s OK); I was not able to match the number I for organic tweets.

For example, below is the response returned:

{
	"data": [{
			"id_data": [{
					"segment": null,
					"metrics": {
						"video_mrc_views": [3113],
						"video_3s100pct_views": [2080],
						"video_views_75": [670],
						"video_cta_clicks": null,
						"video_content_starts": [6773],
						"video_views_100": [515],
						"video_views_25": [1815],
						"video_views_50": [989],
						"video_total_views": [3113]
					}
				}
			],
			"id": ""
		}
	],
	"request": {
		"params": {
			"metric_groups": ["VIDEO"],
			"start_time": "2016-12-19T05:00:00Z",
			"placement": "ALL_ON_TWITTER",
			"segmentation_type": null,
			"entity_ids": [],
			"entity": "ORGANIC_TWEET",
			"granularity": "TOTAL",
			"platform": null,
			"country": null,
			"end_time": "2017-02-17T05:00:00Z"
		}
	},
	"data_type": "stats",
	"time_series_length": 1
}

And here is the data shown on video analytics dashboard:

As you can see, while the View 2080 matches the “video_3s100pct_views”; I can’t explain why Video views on dashboard is 2660 and we get 3113 from “video_total_views”.

The content starts and percentage views are close but smaller than the numbers on dashboard,
6789, 1822, 994, 672, 516 vs 6773, 1815, 670, 515

I wonder if anyone could explain the discrepancy here. Appreciate any help.

Also ads api have problem returning organic video data before Nov’16.
For example, below is the one response returned by the API:

{
	"data": [{
			"id_data": [{
					"segment": null,
					"metrics": {
						"video_mrc_views": null,
						"video_3s100pct_views": [56],
						"video_views_75": [17],
						"video_cta_clicks": null,
						"video_content_starts": [200],
						"video_views_100": [12],
						"video_views_50": [22],
						"video_total_views": null,
						"video_views_25": [36]
					}
				}
			],
			"id": ""
		}
	],
	"request": {
		"params": {
			"metric_groups": ["VIDEO"],
			"start_time": "2016-09-01T04:00:00Z",
			"placement": "ALL_ON_TWITTER",
			"segmentation_type": null,
			"entity_ids": [],
			"entity": "ORGANIC_TWEET",
			"granularity": "TOTAL",
			"platform": null,
			"country": null,
			"end_time": "2016-09-30T04:00:00Z"
		}
	},
	"data_type": "stats",
	"time_series_length": 1
}

As you can see, both video_total_views and video_mrec_views are empty. It seems that for all the data i pulled between June and October, these two metrics are either empty or very small (much smaller than video_3s100pct_views).
I wonder is that a bug or it is not possible to pull those data for the time window?
Again, thanks for any help!

Do you mind sharing the account ID for this case?

We announced the mrc views data as being available for historical dates from Dec 2015 and onwards, so I don’t think there’s a specific reason the numbers would be missing unless 1) it’s due to differences in how they are being calculated, 2) a bug.

Thank for your reply! The account ID I used to pulled these data is

@Ray: Thanks for the account ID. That helps.

The issue is that the video analytics dashboard on ads.twitter.com shows the total number of impressions while the API returns data for the specified date range only.

In the video analytics dashboard, for example, change the date range to just December 20, 2016. It currently shows 2,668 Video views, 525 Minutes viewed, etc.

Link to a similar question.

@juanshishido
Thanks for you reply! However in my query, I specified the date range to be 12/19/2016 - to 2017-02-17. Since the tweet is posted on 12/20/2016, I think the data returned by api should be the same as/close to total number. And it turns out that i can match the Views 2080 to “video_3s100pct_views”;

My problem is that I can’t explain why the “Video views” under “Key metrics” shows 2660, while “video_total_views” returned by API is 3113.

Also I’d greatly appreciate it if you could investigate why API return null “video_total_views” and “video_mrc_views” for time window before Nov’16.

Thanks for the clarification, @Ray. Seeing what you’re seeing now—that the video_3s100pct_views value matches the “Views” value in the video analytics dashboard.

While it’s probably clear from the name, video_3s100pct_views is defined as a video that’s “100% in view for at least 3 seconds.” On the other hand, video_total_views (as well as video_mrc_views) is defined as a video that’s “at least 50% in-view for 2 seconds, as per the MRC standard.” Source.

In terms of what the video analytics dashboard uses, we’ll have to confirm and get back to you.

In your original post, you mention that, “The content starts and percentage views are close but smaller than the numbers on dashboard.” Where in the video analytics dashboard are you seeing this data? Your screenshot shows: Video views, Minutes viewed, Completion rate, and Call to action clicks only.

@juanshishido

Here I attached another screenshot. The retention data can be retrieved if you hover over each of the bars.

Greatly appreciate it if you could confirm the metric twitter analytics dashboard used as video views !

@juanshishido @JBabichJapan
Hi I encountered a related issue.
Besides the discrepancies in organic views, I also found the video views reported in Ads Manger and Video analytics dashboard.

As you can see, these two are for the same tweet, however they aren’t even close to each other. Another thing caught my notice is that on 2/22/2017, the promoted video views of this tweet is 64672 (from data I pulled from video analytics).

Appreciate if you could also look into this.