Normalization without php's normalize

Hello,

I’m trying to post some content from an website to a twitter account with the Twitter REST API. The probleme is, that sometimes I get an error message saying my tweet has too much characters.

The original message is “Die Firma Stollfuß Medien GmbH & Co. KG sucht schnellstmöglich eine/n ASP.Net-Webentwickler/-in. Nähere Informationen siehe Jobbörse.”, which I convert to UTF8, cutting all exiting characters over 116 (I’m sending an url with it) and adding three Points at the end. So i get this:

$messageText = utf8_encode($messageText);

“Die Firma Stollfuß Medien GmbH & Co. KG sucht schnellstmöglich eine/n ASP.Net-Webentwickler/-in. Nähere Info…”

Even if I send an URL, with the text above, I get the same error. So I think it is a probleme with the right encoding for counting the characters.

The documentation says I should use the normalization (as an example http://pecl.php.net/packages.php?catpid=28&catname=Internationalization) from php 5.3 before counting the characters, but i can’t use it in the enviroment of the production system (other administrators -.- ).

I’m stuck in this case, maybe you can help me out. Thx in advanced