New error: 403 This request looks like it might be automated

Hello,

I have an app that very respectfully sends garbage day reminders to residents, on behalf of cities. We use the city Twitter accounts.

Just today I started to see this error message: 403: This request looks like it might be automated.

I cannot find documentation of this anywhere. Is this new?

Best,
Luke

To which API method are you seeing this error returned?

Hello,

This is to create a new direct message. Residents sign up for garbage day reminders. In the past day we’ve been getting those automated message errors.

Best,
Luke

Same problem. Getting the message when I try to send a DM that includes a link.

We are having the same issue.

/1.1/direct_messages/new

With ours we send a unique url for the user redeem a promotional store credit that we don’t necessarily want posted publicly.

Sending without the link works.

I understand how limiting messages to not have urls could be used to prevent spam, but for us it’s in no way or shape spam. We only send one DM per user at a really low rate. I went through and read the API terms as well as the Abuse & Spam article, it doesn’t mention restricting use of links.

Same here, pretty frustrating. Without external links it accepts the message.

Still getting same issue…
“The response status code is 403”

+1 Getting same isssue when sending DM - please @episod provide some links to new rules, so we can inform our clients about changes in you API.

Hello Team,
I am also getting the same issue. This is what I am getting in response to the method “direct_messages/new” :

stdClass Object
(
[errors] => Array
(
[0] => stdClass Object
(
[code] => 226
[message] => This request looks like it might be automated. To protect our users from spam and other malicious activity, we can’t complete this action right now. Please try again later.
)

)

)

Please let me know the solution why this is coming… :frowning:

Same issue

Hello,

I am again seeing this issue a lot today.

403: Forbidden This request looks like it might be automated. To protect our users from spam and other malicious activity, we can’t complete this action right now. Please try again later.

How can I avoid these types of errors?

same issue here any clarification from twitter would be fantastic. Anyone ?

We are restructuring back-end elements of our Direct Message system. As a result, users may be unable to send some URLs in direct messages. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. But as we continue this work to update our DM system, the ability to send URLs in direct messages has been gradually returning.

If you could please file a ticket at https://support.twitter.com/forms/platform and send us one of the URLs you’re trying to send, we can see what we can do to speed this along so your app can again function.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
I barely tweet. I tweet about 5-12 times a month, and I got that message.
I don’t tweet from my app. I logged out from my phone app.
I changed my password & email address for logging in.
Twitter’s Help Center Support is VERY unhelpful for this problem.
How can this be fixed. IT’S BEEN 6 DAYS, & STILL NOT ALLOWING ME TO TWEET!

I am receiving the same problem, I am uncertain why. I barely tweet as well, around 3-10 times a day if that. I’ve tried changing my password but still no luck. If someone has had this issue resolved or if someone can resolve this issue for me that would be great. I have had this problem for 5 days now

Same problem. It’s on my personal account, absolutely nothing fishy or automated about my activity, what’s up?