MRAID: Load <iframe> During Interstitial Animation

ios

I noticed that the MoPub iOS SDK does not allow <iframe>s to be loaded while the UIWebView is being animated (for an interstitial ad.) This is causing some complications for my MRAID ad unit (which loads video players inside of <iframe>s.)

So, I have two questions:

1. Why does the SDK prevent loading <iframe>s during the animation?
  2. Could the MRAID viewableChange event be adjusted so that it is fired after the web view animates (and it is safe to load <iframe>s?)

Thanks in advance!

Hi @minznerjosh,

MoPub can technically support iframes. However, any implementation of iframes within the rich media would require additional custom work that we might not support.

Are you looking to build on our platform as a creative vendor or DSP? Let us know.

Thanks!

I’m talking about this specific bit of code in the MoPub iOS SDK that disables the loading of web pages (including <iframe>s) while and MRAID interstitial is animating into view. I’m curious:

1. Why does that code exist? Why prevent loading <iframe>s during the animation?
  2. Could the MRAID viewableChange event be adjusted so that it is fired after the web view animates (and it is safe to load <iframe>s?)

To answer your question, we fall into the category of both a creative vendor and DSP.

Our use-case is quite simple: we are trying to loading video player <iframe>s inside of our MRAID unit—YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc. Sometimes (because of how long our code takes to load, network performance, etc.) we end up attempting to load one of the video player <iframe>s during the MRAID interstitial animation, which will silently fail because of the code I linked to above.

Without a reliable way to know when it is safe to load <iframe>s, we can’t really fix this problem on our end.

Hi @minznerjosh,

Since you are a creative vendor and DSP, there might be some additional testing and questions that our team will need to follow up on. If you have a dedicated account manager on the MoPub demand side, you can certainly email them. If not, please write in to dspsupport@mopub.com and they will be able to assist you.

Thanks!