Limited results being returned from search/tweets REST API 1.1


Hi there, I’m running a straightforward query using the REST API via Twitter4J. I’ve noticed that in the past two days, sometimes fewer responses are being returned than expected, and moreover, matching tweets only go back a few hours instead of 7 days or so. For example, I ran my search for “graphene” at 6:15pm EST on 11/1/2013 and received only 89 results, the first of which was created at Fri Nov 01 11:54:29 EDT 2013. So, as you can see, the first matching tweets occur about 6 hours ago.

Has something changed recently? My sample code is below.

Many thanks,

private void search() { // The factory instance is re-useable and thread safe. Twitter twitter = TwitterFactory.getSingleton(); twitter4j.Query query = new twitter4j.Query("graphene"); QueryResult result = null; int c = 0; do { try { result =; } catch (TwitterException e) { // TODO Auto-generated catch block e.printStackTrace(); return; } for (Status status : result.getTweets()) { System.out.println(status.getCreatedAt() + " @" + status.getUser().getScreenName() + ":" + status.getText()); c++; } } while ((query = result.nextQuery()) != null); System.out.println ("count is " + c); }


By the way, I’m familiar with the caveats listed here:

The problem is that results are not being returned going back the full week.


Bump… I’m still encountering this issue – changed my app oauth keys and tokens temporarily to no avail.


We are seeing this as well. It seems to have been going on for months now…



Thank you for the reports. We have deployed some fixes related to search.

Please let us know if you are still encountering any issues with the search/tweets API endpoint or if you are now getting your results as expected.