[iOS] NSInternalInconsistencyException when trying to display feed in a ViewController

I’m new to using the Twitter API/Twitter Kit but I can’t seem to get even basic functionality to work. I installed Twitter Kit manually in a test project in Xcode and followed the installation guide. In my viewDidLoad() function of my ViewController swift file I have the following, copied from the website:
super.viewDidLoad()
let client = TWTRAPIClient()
self.dataSource = TWTRListTimelineDataSource(listSlug: “surfing”, listOwnerScreenName: “stevenhepting”, apiClient: client)
The ViewController also inherits TWTRTimelineViewController.
When I run the application on my physical iPhone and the simulator, the app crashes with the following runtime error:
Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSInternalInconsistencyException’, reason: '-[UITableViewController loadView] instantiated view controller with identifier “UIViewController-BYZ-38-t0r” from storyboard “Main”, but didn’t get a UITableView.'
The only item in my storyboard is a view controller and the only changes I made were the installation instructions (aside from what is above). I’m using Swift 3 and Xcode 8.3.3. My iPhone is running iOS 9.3 and the simulator is 10.3.
Is there any fix for this? I must be doing something wrong as this is very basic Twitter Kit functionality.

This is more of Storyboard issue. Is there a UITableView in the view controller in your storyboard?
This stack overflow response offers reasonable solution