I’ve spotted a “bug” in the display of replies generated by the API’s POST
statuses/update endpoint. For each reply I generate, its display change at random :
- the reply is displayed as expected with a notification
- the reply is displayed under a “Show More replies” button with a notification
- the reply isn’t displayed at all and no notification is sent
In any cases :
- the actual reply is available in the timeline of the account that created it
- if logged with the account that created the replies, all the tweets and its replies are displayed as expected
- the counter of replies is accurate
- none of the accounts (sender and receiver) have privacy settings issues since sometimes all is displayed as intended
- the tweet and its reply are public and can be viewed by anyone
- the replies are generated by the exact same code
- there is no “sequence” or logic behind the type of display chosen by Twitter
The most annoying part of this bug is that in case 3, the receiver has no way get notified or see his reply, except notice that his tweet has more replies in his replies counter than in the reply list, crawling the “Tweets and replies” section of the sender, spot his own username in one of them and click on it (which one can call “impossible”). So this is a real issue for customer support or games bots for instance.
Here is a sample for each case :
Some topics describe this behaviour, all seems different but I think that the issue is the same, but none of them have a solution :
- Reply tweets only showing up for some users
- Automated response notifications
- Replies sent via the API are occasionally invisible
- Reply is not linked to the the tweet
The most similar topic is the forth (Reply is not linked to the tweet) and I wanted to add some of my informations/investigation/samples, but the topic is closed hence this new one. It talks about a issue in the new interface, but I can confirm that I can see this bug in desktop/web and iOS/Android applications.
Has anyone encountered this issue ?
Thanks a lot.