I believe our IP has been blacklisted

Hi,

We’re pretty certain that our IP has been blacklisted by the Twitter API as we are unable to get any response.

We’ve also noticed Sprout Social have been blacklisted today and as we provide similar services we assume this is the issue.

Our IP is 109.123.110.56

When we ping we get the following responses…

ping -c 5 api.twitter.com
PING api.twitter.com (199.59.150.9) 56(84) bytes of data.

api.twitter.com ping statistics —
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4015ms

ping -c 5 twitter.com
PING twitter.com (199.59.148.10) 56(84) bytes of data.

twitter.com ping statistics —
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4015ms

All other requests to Facebook/Google/etc work fine.

If we are calling the API too much please let us know – we don’t believe we are as we do limit requests as much as possible. But if not we’re quite willing to do whatever is required to resolve this problem.

Cheers, Rob

Same here. Posted this also last night, anywhere I could. No response from anyone at Twitter, no heads-up, no I’ll pay you to pick up the phone support, no other way than filing the issue in a highly trafficked public forum, here.

We’re in pretty much the same / similar business as the other providers and this is starting to look scary.

If you need time fixing something, no problem, but please do let us know. There are hundreds of thousands of people now stuck with a third party service that looks bad for making the experience around Twitter even more enjoyable.

We’re on your side Twitter, help us out.

Update: We are getting ping responses again. Seems like the issue is being addressed right now, that’s great news.

Yeah we’re back online too now.

However would be great if we could be told what the issue is, because if we’ve done something wrong we’d like an opportunity to fix it.

Yes i agree. i recall @episod mentioning that the ops team has issues linking IPs they add to the block with the respective apps/providers/companies (us).

I’d love to have a feature that allows me to register/associate my IPs with Twitter. If it’s just static at the beginning, that works too. Would be great to update through API later (from a safe unblocked server), so one could add/remove hosts dynamically based on some time limits or something.

Either way, if you want us to identify servers, I’m all for it,I’ll be happy to provide any kind of data to avoid this random, unannounced outages that are only resolvable through this public forum. I understand the technology issue behind it, I hear your pain with all these services bombing your site. But some of us are trying very hard to be as friendly and policy compliant as possible, it’d be great to see that it is being recognized in some form.