How does twitter treat short urls? I am asking this since I am concerned as to how short urls affect the share counter for me. If twitter does not look beyond the short url then the insights for my long url will be affected

How does twitter treat short urls? I am asking this since I am concerned as to how short urls affect the share counter for me. If twitter does not look beyond the short url then the insights for my long url will be affected.

Essentially, all URLs and URL-like constructs are considered either 20 or 21 characters long at the time of this writing (depending on whether they are HTTP or HTTPS). t.co is a link wrapper, not necessarily a URL shortener – it can make URLs longer. See [node:1163] for more info.

Thank you for that. I probably wasn’t clear. What I wanted to understand was how sharing tools like add this and sharethis work. They use their own link shortener. When a user tweets using their tools, the tweeted URL is a short URL created by sharethis for the long URL
My question is why does twitter not count these tweets while displaying the number of tweets also since they link to the same url?

We will usually count them, provided the redirect chain still results in an HTML page containing your Tweet Button code.