Hierarchy of accounts, campaigns, line items, etc and their corresponding elements in the interface

Hi there,

I’m trying to get a better understanding of the hierarchy of the various entities and what exactly they correspond to in the interface. My end goal is to pull stats at the most granular level possible and then aggregate up where necessary.

I wonder if you could tell me two things:

• First, what does each entity correspond to in the interface?
  • Second, what relationship do the entities have with one another.

My findings so far are:

Accounts This is the entity chosen immediately after logging in. I have been able to reconcile the IDs seen here. I believe an account has a one-to-many relationship with a funding instrument.

Funding instruments This is the entity referred to in the interface as a funding source. I believe a funding instrument has a many-to-one relationship with an account and a one-to-many relationship with a campaign.

Campaigns This is the entity that can be seen in the campaigns tab in the interface. I believe it has a many-to-one relationship with a funding instrument. I assume it has a one-to-many relationship with line items but I have not been able to confirm this.

Line items I am not sure what these correspond to in the interface. I assume that these have a many-to-one relationship with campaigns and a one-to-many relationship with promoted_tweets but I have not been able to confirm this.

Promoted accounts I am not sure what these correspond to in the interface. I assume that these have a many-to-one relationship with line items but I have not been able to confirm this. I am not sure if these relate to promoted tweets or not.

Promoted tweets I am not sure what these correspond to in the interface but could it be the items under the tweets tab? I believe that these have a many-to-one relationship with line items. I am not sure if these relate to promoted accounts or not.

I believe these are all the entities for which you can pull stats. If I’ve missed any others, could you please direct me to them?

I appreciate that this might be a difficult question to answer so please ask if you need more information!

Thanks,

Jake

Relationship between ads object

Would be nice if an admin could respond to this, and perhaps pin the post.

There are a lot of entities to keep track of here and I hear your request for clarity. I’m going to respond briefly here and work on getting a visual in our documentation.

Account - Your assertions are true. This is the advertising account, not to be confused with the Twitter account.

Funding Instruments - True. An advertising account can have multiple funding instruments associated with it. A funding instrument can fund multiple campaigns.

Campaigns - True. See the Campaigns and Ad Groups (Line Items) section.

Ad Groups (aka Line Items) - This is a significant difference between the UI and the API. The API supports multiple line items per campaign, the UI does not. Therefore, the single line item is essentially invisible in the UI and just rolls up to the campaign level. A line item can have multiple Promoted Tweets associated to it.

Scroll down on this page to the blurb from October 23, 2014 for more information on ad groups/line items.

Promoted Accounts - In the UI, Promoted Accounts are set by selecting the Followers campaign objective. In the API, you will see placement_type: "PROMOTED_ACCOUNT" for this type of line item. (As opposed to placement_type": "PROMOTED_TWEETS")

Promoted Tweets - A line item/ad group can contain multiple Promoted Tweets. As explained above, they are a different placement type from the Promoted Account. Dig into the advertiser-focused documents I’ve linked here to learn more about advertising options on Twitter.

Hope this helps for now. We’ll be working on synthesizing this information better in the docs.