Getting "PKIX path building failed"

Hi,

The last few weeks we’ve been getting this error:

oauth.signpost.exception.OAuthCommunicationException: Communication with the service provider failed: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

at oauth.signpost.AbstractOAuthProvider.retrieveToken(AbstractOAuthProvider.java:214)
at oauth.signpost.AbstractOAuthProvider.retrieveRequestToken(AbstractOAuthProvider.java:69)

Did you guys update a certificate in that timeframe?

Thanks.

I’m not aware of any recent certificate changes although that could be the case.

One related thing that did change recently was that we disabled SSLv3. Could that be related, do you think?

It’s very possible. How should I go about correcting this?

We’re making the retrieveToken from our servers which is currently using TLSv1 yet we’re still getting the error. Is there something else I need to do?

This is not a question of whether your server is using TLSv1, but how your code is interacting with Twitter.

There may be a parameter you can pass in to whatever method call you are making to force TLS vs SSL, but I don’t know what your code looks like so I can’t be sure. I’d suggest researching that.