Getting latest tweet(s) from Friends without hitting Call Limit

I’ve looked through the Twitter API and thought about ways that I might be able to get through an apparent call limit issue, but I can’t think of one, so I’m throwing it out to anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction or offer a sounding board.

I’m trying to get the last tweet (and other associated information) from all of a user’s “friends” (ie the people said user is following). I thought I could go about doing that by getting the user’s friends and then pulling each user timeline and printing the most recent tweet, but that quickly ran into a brick wall called the call limit.

My problem seems to be a little limiting (no pun intended), but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for ways of getting around this issue. I’d love an API call that just pulled the single latest tweet of all friends, but since that doesn’t (seem to?) exist I’m trying to cobble that together, with little success.

Ultimately, I’m trying to put together something that could give a user a sense of how “stale” some of the people s/he’s following are, and either engage those people or prune them. So if this doesn’t seem like a good way to go about that, critique on that would be fine too.

Suggestions? Maybe I can clarify something? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.