Get the amount (number) of tweets sent from within a country

I was wondering if it’s possible to get the number of tweets sent form within a country (The United States, Albania, etc) during a time period (say the last hour). I don’t care about the content of the tweets, just the number that was sent.

There’s no direct way to get these numbers.

You can make some guesses using the Streaming API’s sampling methods and counting tweets that match criteria you’re looking for and extrapolating that out times 99%. If you want to limit the set to geotagged tweets in a country, you can build bounding boxes and count the tweets, additionally considering any rate limiting notices you got that would add to the total.

Hey whats up my name is Alan Huang also known as DJ Alo. I have a lot of problems with people impersonating me on twitter. I lose followers to the other accounts that say DJ Alo as well as tweets referring to me… Out of all the DJ Alo’s I have the most followers and I have had a twitter account longer than the other ones. I use twitter also for business and this problem definitely interferes. Is there anyone I can speak with that can help me verify my account?