Friendships/create "unable to follow more people at this time"

nodejs

Hi,
I’ve created an app that uses friendships/create. It works in my localhost environment.
But when I deployed it on production. The api returns says:

“You are unable to follow more people at this time.”
code: 161
statusCode: 403

I’m actually using Firebase functions.
I used firebase --serve to test in local, it works fine. But when I deploy it to my Firebase app, this happened.

I’ve added some tracking to track whether the call returned status code 200 or 403. I did get some 200, but most of them are 403. Is this related to the rate limit? Because I’m sending a lot of traffic to my production site.

Any idea how can I fix this?

There are daily limits for calling the friendships endpoint, and also an overall account follow limit. The new reduced POST limits will also have an effect here.

Hi andypiper,
Thanks for replying. I didn’t notice about new POST limits. But I still have some questions.

1. My localhost and my production site are using the same twitter app. Same API keys. If it is related to the daily POST limit, why I get 403 from only my production site, but not localhost?

2. If i’m hitting the POST limit, what’s the error message?

3. The friendships/create is to allow users to follow my other twitter account. So i guess I should not be affected by the follow limit? Because it is the users who follow me, not me following them.

4. In the post you shared, It is stated that I can request for elevated POST limit in the API Policy Support Form.

But, when I go to the API Policy Support Form, I don’t see ‘I would like to apply for elevated POST limits.’
If i’m getting 403 because of hitting the POST limit, shouldn’t I see that option?

Thanks in advance

Hey @yk9937

What is the app id that you are using to make these requests?

If you hit the POST rate limit, I believe you will receive our 429 error code:
Too Many Requests - Returned when a request cannot be served due to the app’s rate limit having been exhausted for the resource

Would you mind explaining your use case? I am a little confused by this statement.

You’ll notice in the same bullet that we say…

In the end, I’m not quite sure why you are hitting this error. I’ll have to hear more about your use case and look up your app to learn more.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.