Follow for follow isn't allowed anymore?

Hello there,
I’ve had some complaints from users that they’ve stopped giving notifications to people when they follow someone. All actions of following and unfollowing has been done manually.
Is it new twitter measure that prevents users from getting attention to their accounts?

Thanks,
C.M.

You shouldn’t rely on an action guaranteeing a notification: Mobile & Web notification settings are separate - and you can’t know what notifications people turn on or off - also, twitter aggregates notifications sometimes - especially if they happen in a short period of time, eg: If 10 people RT a tweet in a short space of time, you’ll get 1 Notification “Someone & 9 others Retweeted…” not 10 individual ones.

Any news about your problem?
It seems similar to mine: Not throwing notifications anymore

As @IgorBrigadir says above, you shouldn’t rely on activity causing a specific notification in a user’s app - that may change based on, for example, system load, whether a user has notifications enabled for specific actions, aggregations, etc.

Yes I know that, but in my case I tested on different platforms and with different accounts.
Since he hasn’t specified many things I just wanted to know more about his experience and if he has solved the problem.
Today after 3 days of almost total inactivity one of the accounts that I used to test is back to normal.
I think it’s very strange, in my opinion the options are 2: a new rule or a bug.
Thanks

Still the same, i’ve tested on different accounts, and most of them do not send any notifications.

Same here, looks like problem with accounts, no notification even when following manually.
So maybe Twitter Staff can clarify on this one, is it a bug or some kinda new rules for following?

Exactly, I tested something more… seems like that my automatic retweets weren’t the problem.
The problem begins when you follow/unfollow many people in a day, I don’t know which is the limit. (more than 50 maybe?)
Then to solve the problem you don’t have to do anything for 3 days.
This is my experience.
Still wondering if it’s a rule or a bug.

Not throwing notifications anymore
Followers not getting any notifications

Hi @AndyPiper or other Twitter Dev Support,

Let me add my voice to the many other requests of others here and in other threads in this Rules section.

Can you please give the Dev community clear guidance on what is going on with muting/failing notifications?

Rudimentary testing shows that muting/failing of notifications has changed in the last 30d (the points you note are well understood & have been at work for a long time, but things are now different).

The community has put in a ton of development work around your API, and its only fair that you tell us what is or isn’t permitted and why like, follow, etc notification are failing to post.

My customers are bringing a lot of complaints to me, and I would really like to share some straight answers with them.

Best,

Risk

First of all, you’re absolutely right that lots of developers work with the platform, and we are grateful for that effort and interest.

I’m also happy to refer you to my response on this other thread - partially quoted here:

Of course I understand the frustration, and I apologise that you’re having issues, but there’s no change to the Twitter Rules for users, or to the automation rules, or to the way in which the APIs work in these areas.

Users are free to follow who they choose (blocks etc of course apply); the API makes that possible; the notifications side is down to the way client apps surface activity, not a developer platform activity.

I am also having this issue. Can we please get some kind of explanation? @andypiper

No user is getting any of our notifications and I have no idea why, and I can’t send in a support ticket because the account isn’t officially locked. It’s just some hidden mechanism.

Unfortunately, we can’t comment on specific apps here in the forums. If you’re having a particular technical issue with your app, please use the API Policy Support form for more specific help.

More generally, all users of Twitter’s apps can choose to enable a Quality Filter for their Notifications timeline. For users with the Quality Filter enabled, certain low-quality notifications may not be displayed. Duplicative content, or activity which appears to be automated, are common types of notifications which are filtered by the Quality Filter. While I can’t confirm whether or not this is affecting actions performed via your app, I would echo @andypiper’s recommendation earlier in this thread to carefully review both the Twitter Rules and the Automation Rules for additional information about the types of activities which might fall under Twitter’s definitions of spam and prohibited automation.

More generally, all users of Twitter’s apps can choose to enable a Quality Filter for their Notifications timeline. For users with the Quality Filter enabled, certain low-quality notifications may not be displayed.

No user is seeing us in their notifications tab regardless of how we interact with them, what app they’re using, whether they have this filter on, whether they follow us, etc. It is definitely a universal affect that has been specifically applied to our account.

I would echo @andypiper’s recommendation earlier in this thread to carefully review both the Twitter Rules and the Automation Rules for additional information about the types of activities which might fall under Twitter’s definitions of spam and prohibited automation.

On your recommendation, I have. I don’t believe we violated any of them. And even if I could find a rule that we broke, that doesn’t give us a means of confirming why this happened, or of demonstrating that we changed the behavior.

How do I find out why our account was muted like this, and if/when it will stop, or what I can do to fix it? If we need to change our behavior at all, I’d be happy to, but as far as I can see there isn’t even a means for us to create a ticket about this.

Twitter doesn’t really just indefinitely soft ban well-intentioned accounts without notice or means of appeal, does it?..

@andypiper said in that other thread to “use the support forms to follow this up” but the only support form related to this literally won’t let us submit to it because we aren’t fully locked–we just have this weird clandestine shadowmute.

Hi @rslashpatriots:

As I noted previously, we can’t comment on specific applications or accounts in the forums, for privacy reasons. For questions about your specific usage of the Twitter API, the API Policy Support form remains the best way to get help.

However, it sounds like you’re actually asking about issues your account may be experiencing with your mentions of other users appearing in their Notifications timeline — including for content not created via the Twitter API. These types of questions about content visibility are off-topic for the developer forums. And, again for privacy reasons, I can’t provide specific information about your account here.

Followers aren't receiving our notifications. Anything we can do about this?